Sigma select II 6k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their description is wrong though. It's not a resinoid stone. It's pure sintered silicon carbide

I use to own one. Until my wife dropped it and broke into a few pieces, then tossed it out. She didn’t know I could of glued it to a base and still used it.

But I enjoyed using it when I had it. Now use a Naniwa Hayabusa 4,000 for my finishing at home or friends.

Really disliked it for knives. To fast for my liking. Liked it for tools, but ended up selling it.

Select II is sintered sic. There is no select. Power ceramic is their standard line. The select II 400, 1200, AND 13000 has the select II name but were added later for brand recognition but are not sintered sic and not truly part of that line
You can get them where labour of love linked to, Lee Valley, and many woodworking retailers

Those are the standard power ceramic Stones I was talking about that are not the select stones. They are still made we just can't find any retailers for them

Did you find it to be as hard as the Sigma Power ceramic 6k?
About the same. Maybe a tad softer. Definitely breaks down faster hence no polishing but yet stays flat and won't gouge even if you're ham fisted

Last edited:
Their description is wrong though. It's not a resinoid stone. It's pure sintered silicon carbide
No it's not, it's a resinoid stone. You can check by torching the stone. It burns. The information on those come straight from Saicom.

The only stones in that line made with SiC are the 240 and 1000.

Ok. The whole point of those stones was to be made of pure sintered sic so they could cut the hss and other hight carbide tool steels where normal stones were having issues

Ok. The whole point of those stones was to be made of pure sintered sic so they could cut the hss and other hight carbide tool steels where normal stones were having issues
Here's your proof. Don't care what you think, because it's wrong.

That's the 3k and the 6k is the same.

You are an a**hat. I was saying I thought that strange not starting a fight

You are an a**hat. I was saying I thought that strange not starting a fight
Nothing in your previous posts says "I just thought it was strange." It says "I know the real truth about this line and all this other info is wrong."

Well now I've shown you that your information is incorrect. I'm glad I could help expand your knowledge.

https://www.fine-tools.com/sigma.html

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=335_404_513
(You will see Stu changed his description and used to say there was no binder. Which when I talked to him that's what sigma had told him. I was going by what information was available. That's not being a know-it-all but accepting what the manufacturer says. These are also very popular with wood workers and that's what the general consensus was)
Fine tools is full of incorrect information. If you've ever used the 6k select II, it feels absolutely nothing like a sintered ceramic stone. The information coming direct from the manufacturer says that the 240 and 1000 are グリーンカーボランダムビトリファイド (green carborundum vitrified) and that the 400, 3000, 6000, 10000 and 13000 are アルミナレジノイド (alumina resinoid). So if any seller is contacting them and getting different information, I don't know what to tell you.

That's fair. I was incorrect. But I was still going by good information I had at the time. Tfj when they were in business was the go to for sigma stones and Stu had the owner of sigma's ear. That's where I got my info from. I have used this stone. It does not feel like a resinoid stone to me but that being said only resinoid stones I know of I've used is a ss 220 and a Sharpton pro 1k. This stone feels more like a fine vitrified to me * shrugs *

Last edited:
That's fair. I was incorrect. But I was still going by good information I had at the time. Tfj when they were in business was the go to for sigma stones and Stu had the owners ear. That's where I got my info from. I have used this stone. It does not feel like a resinoid stone to me but that being said only resinoid stones I know of I've used is a ss 220 and a Sharpton pro 1k. This stone feels more like a fine vitrified to me * shrugs *
Well that's interesting you say that because the Shapton Pro 1k isn't resinoid either; it doesn't burn. The Shapton Glass stones are resinoid though; they do burn. Shapton plays it close to the vest on exact composition though and consider it trade secret. Pro/Kuromaku are generally considered a type of magnesia cement given their deterioration in water happens in a manner typical of magnesia stones (Salt formation on the surface). King 6k is a resinoid stone, arashiyama is as well. The types of resins can be different though. If you soak the Shapton Glass for too long, they'll deteriorate whereas most other resinoid stones will be fine.

The burn test really only works to identify resin versus other binder like vitrified/clay or magnesia. Resin is a plastic and will burn as such whereas the others don't. The burning will also weaken the bond and the affected area of the stone will crumble while other types of binders will not.

Do also note I like to get the job done fast and thus like fast cutting stones like the sigma select 1,000. I’m not one who tries to stand around and meticulously polish my knives to make them look pretty
Yeah, from what I’ve read that’s the advantage of this stone.
I polish with rust erasers. ;)

Back