Simple question about San Mai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUWerner

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about this. For a blade to be considered as San Mai, is it enough for it to be composed of a harder core layer enveloped by two softer layers? Independent of steel type? Or there's something more specific like steel type, heat treatment, etc?

I guess during the forging process, a little high on the temperature? 🤷‍♂️
On the grilled cheese or San Mai? On the later I would think that forge or heat treatment temperature are dictated by the steels in question. But on the former too high temperature and you'll over-toast the bread - who likes cracker-like bread on their grilled cheese sammy?

On the grilled cheese or San Mai? On the later I would think that forge or heat treatment temperature are dictated by the steels in question. But on the former too high temperature and you'll over-toast the bread - who likes cracker-like bread on their grilled cheese sammy?
Both 🤣 molten metal would be a no-no, san-mai or not

So here's a question for the other makers out there. Lately I've been doing some knives with 1080 core and 15N20 on the sides, but because my stock size is limited, I have been using 2 pieces of 1080 with 3 pieces of 15N20 on either side, for 8 total pieces, but 3 layers of material.
Is this still a san-mai blade?

So here's a question for the other makers out there. Lately I've been doing some knives with 1080 core and 15N20 on the sides, but because my stock size is limited, I have been using 2 pieces of 1080 with 3 pieces of 15N20 on either side, for 8 total pieces, but 3 layers of material.
Is this still a san-mai blade?
I do this sometimes, stack material to build the desired thickness. I say yes because the similar stacked steel becomes homogeneous

I'm a bit confused about this. For a blade to be considered as San Mai, is it enough for it to be composed of a harder core layer enveloped by two softer layers? Independent of steel type? Or there's something more specific like steel type, heat treatment, etc?

1603415172581.png

Latest posts

Back