Small CCK or Sugimoto #30

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prairiedog

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first cleaver. I'm only a home cook and I'm confident 190mm will be plenty for length. Any opinions between these two knives? They're nearly identical in price ($80 for CCK and should be able to pick up a small sugi from Rakuten for around $100 or less with coupon). I know the CCK is carbon and the sugi is stainless. I've heard good things about both. Any reason I should lean toward one over the other??

edit: adding link to the exact CCK I'm talking about: http://www.chefsmall.net/CCK-Small-Cleaver-Kitchen-Small-Slicer-KF1915

I used CCK carbons at work. At home I use the Sugimoto 3040. Rakuten is the best deal on them. They make a lot of these, have a good heat treatment.

The stainless is user friendly. It is not hard to sharpen like some stainless, durable edge, good grind, comfortable handle. A light small vegetable cleaver good for home use, tho some use it in production kitchens too. Good choice for a first cleaver.

CCK CARBON steel .
I have CCK 1103, and really like it.
SUGIMOTO also makes good carbon steel knives.
(but I wouldn't get stainless )
I love carbon steel...and dislike stainless.
so my opinion is biased.

Hard to make a poor choice there. The Sug would be my personal choice but I'd be very happy with either one.

Dave

thanks for the input. I was originally planning on the sugimoto, just wanted to make sure there weren't any compelling reasons to choose the CCK. Sounds like I will stick to my plan with the sugi. Now just to wait for a coupon to rakuten!

Back