So boring... another first wa handle thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my pathetic attempt to copy one of @bryan03’s awesome burnt oak handles. It’s also my first woodworking project since I was a kid. The grain doesn’t pop as much as in a Raquin handle, you could fit Arkansas into the tang slot, and there are probably 1 million other reasons why it’s worse, but I’m reasonably happy with it.

Here is everything I used to make it! The handle is in the middle.

31666043-006E-4D7B-924B-3A19FFF72F62.jpeg

(Edit: I forgot to include the small drill I used for the initial holes for the tang slot, and a couple small needle files. Oh well, I’m not taking that picture again.)

Thanks to @Carl Kotte and @Dendrobatez for their advice, and to some other chatty KKFers as well.

Last edited:
Shoot man, it looks great especially considering the tools you had for the project. Make a few more and I bet they will be perfect.
The next time I make a batch of handle broaches I will send you one and it will help you out with the tang slot.

good tools for handles are: extra long drills 2,5-4mm, very thin chisel, needle rasp, needle files, small reciprocating saw blades. this is all you need really.

first you drill 2-3 holes to depth, then connect the holes up top to make a slot. then try doing the same down the hole.

Reactions: ian
When I woke up today, I never imagined that I would soon know the Swedish word for navel lint. I imagine there's some subtlety to your use of it that I'm missing though.
Not really! In fact I just had an apparent (in fact incorrect) memory that ’ludd’ could be used in American English too. But checking my sources, I realize I was wrong, again. And now I’m even more offended and ashamed.

My handles aren’t wa style but I do use a lot of metal. The trick to getting everything to bond I’ve found is to drill holes in the pieces so the glue has something to hold onto.
All of your handles look great by the way.

Looks nice! I like that the octo has a little verticality to it. Looks comfy.

Thx, I like the verticality and taper. It feel quite nice in use. Happy with every part of it except the Grand Canyon sized tang hole. I would have also liked a little more texture after the burn, but it's pretty good as is. 🤷‍♂️

So, does anybody use a lathe to turn handles? Sanding can be done but it would be so much faster to use a lathe. Turn like a 3-foot piece or a length so when you take into account for all the sawing you end up with a bunch of round handles. This is 1 wood working tool I don't have. My shop is full.

I built a small lathe but only use it to finish sand and polish my handles. IMO, unless you want your handles perfectly round the lathe doesn’t help that much. I use a 6x48” belt sander to grind my handles into shape. They are oval shaped with a good amount of taper so the lathe works well for sanding them smooth. Once you get into any other shape, I think you’re better off sanding on a belt. I take my square handle and start by grinding off the edges. Basically the same way you would make a wa handle. Then I just roll the handle while sanding it into the shape I want. I haven’t found a faster way to do it.

Back