So I start to make knives in my backyard

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From another thread of my; inspired by many other forum members. I decided to start making knives in my backyard.
Although the goal is to start forging on my own, and make a knife from start to finish; To get my feet wet, I decided to make my first knife “without forge” straight from an old file.
In posts below I will update my steps and will love to accept feedback and suggestions!

IMG_8277.jpg

The original file.
To decrease amount of edge I need to work on for my first attempt, I decided to make a petty out of it.

4E303199-3FC3-4144-938A-2731536CE81A.jpg
3C4E594F-456F-4436-BAA5-16722263D245.jpg

I wanted to achieve a decent amount of tapering but I don’t have any knowledge of how to.

So I decided to shaping the knife gradually move from the tip to heel, edge to spine; following a pattern:
Start grinding 3second from the tip of the edge moving the middle, 2 second from the middle of the edge to the heel, 1 second at the heel of the edge, bring the grinder back in 1 motion to reduce low spots. Repeat 3 time

Start grinding 3 second from the tip of the center moving to middle, 2 second from the middle of the center to heel, 1 second at the heel of the center, bring back in 1 motion to reduce low spots. Repeat 2 time

Start grinding 3 second from the tip of the spine moving to middle, 2 second from the middle of the spine to heel, 1 second at the heel of the spine, bring back in 1 motion to reduce low spots. Repeat 1 time

Smooth blade a few time to reduce low spots then start from the beginning.

Did you do anything to keep the blade cool when grinding?

Handle scales without pins, at least hidden ones (which you might have), have a habit of popping off, since there's nothing to brace/protect the epoxy bond from shear force. I found out the hard way. Cool project! What's the handle wood?

Handle scales without pins, at least hidden ones (which you might have), have a habit of popping off, since there's nothing to brace/protect the epoxy bond from shear force. I found out the hard way. Cool project! What's the handle wood?

I originally planned to drop in pins, after thought through the design I ended up not using them for better look. I used 30min two side epoxy to hold the blanks together. Hidden pins sounds like a great idea!
I guess at this point if the handle pops off I will resume with pins.

Just checking in to see how the progress is going.

I'm interested in starting on this knife making thing.

Mlau,
It's a fun process, you should give it a try!
I actually had to pause all my hobbies due to the virus situation.
I work in the healthcare industry, had to pull A LOT of overtime to support the doctors in the front line.

I will resume the activities here soon (hopefully) and I will keep you guy all posted with my results.

Back