So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be time to update the title of this thread?

How many more to go, Floris?

31st .....

:)

If i had known, yes, the title would certainly have been different. Maybe a la Buzzfeed: "Collecting Shigefusa's? See what this guy did."

One more addition to my website, a 225mm kasumi deba:

3.jpg

More information and photos of the deba can be found here

Two new additions to the website! Very excited about this first one, a 300mm kasumi Fugubiki. Now I can start comparing this knife to the yanagibas, as soon as I find some time. Incredibly light knife and razor sharp out of the box.

4.jpg

The other knife is a 210mm Kitaeji Kakugata Usuba. Both knives I picked up during a recent trip to Japan.

5.jpg

More info on the Fugubiki can be found here
More info on the Usuba can be found here

Hi daveb,
I prefer Gyutos, but i have also nakiri,Usuba, pettys from Shigefusa, Marko Tsourkan, Kato and other.

Recently added this 180mm kitaeji deba to my collection; breaking down fish has never been that easy!

3.jpg

More images and measurements of the knife can be found here.

Yup, i believe it is Markenki's sibling from So's order. To round up the recent additions:

180mm kasumi Gyuto:
6.jpg

More Gyuto photos and measurements can be found here

230mm kitaeji Chuka:
5.jpg

More Chuka photos and measurements can be found here

Floris is single handedly trying to corner the kitaeji, unique, rarer- than-rare, must-have Shig market, and put us Aussie Shig hoarders to shame.

He's succeeding!

Very nice, Floris :)

Is it NOS or something? You will have to work a bit with polishing magic to get rid of those black spots. :viking:

Apart from that, it looks awesome.

Hi Chanop, not 100% sure at this stage; i'm still planning on comparing the different kanji engravings, perhaps this will shed some light on the NOS.

Okay, it's been a month and thought to mix things up for my 30th Shig celebration, a 150mm KU petty:

4.jpg

More info on the knife can be found by clicking this link

Yes, i am adding sections to my site and these are not active yet; overall performance should have increased a lot already.

Nice way to bring up the big 30, Floris! The second most used knife in a western kitchen (the most used in some ...).

Classic affordable Shig :)

Today the mailman dropped off something really special straight from Japan, a Shigefusa Udon Kiri. Thanks to fellow KKF (you know who you are!) pointed me to this auction on Yahoo! Japan. I probably spent more time figuring out the kanji of the reCAPTCHA for the auction registration then bidding on the knife. The process after the bidding with help of Tenso & Buyee was super smooth and took exactly 7 days from winning the bid to arriving on my doorstep. I can definitely recommend these services when buying from Japanese websites/auctions. Tenso does require verification.

Coming back to the knife, i’ve never seen or heard about a Shigefusa Udon/Soba/Kashi Kiri, searches on google do not yield any results either. I’d be interested in hearing your feedback via PMs or Instagram. Happy to send high res images to you if the ones on my site are not detailed enough.

5.jpg

More information on the knife by clicking here

thats an awesome unicorn, does the handle come off? is it old stock?

The handle is solidly attached to the knife itself and does not come off. Old stock? There are signs, though the chiseling of the kanji is very refined compared to the 270mm yanagiba NOS that I own.

Very interesting… it almost looks like a Kurouchi with the finish partially removed

Indeed, I have seen one such example (partially removed kurouchi finish) and there are similarities, though this removal would be a hell of a job to accomplish on both sides of the knife. We're talking 2x 245mm by at least 50mm of surface area on each side.

When I have a chance, I will post pictures of the kiri box the knife came with. Unfortunately, the box took a beating in the mail, as it was shipped loose in a package along with three large udon rolling pins. The wood of the box is different from the 'standard' Shigefusa kiri boxes; thinner side walls and darker discolouration, perhaps not even paulownia wood. The rust paper covering the knife is also different from the more recent knives i received, definitely and older type face and has an 'very old' feel. So more to come on this side.

With the excitement of the Udon Kiri and website upgrade, I forgot to post two recent additions, a 300 & a 330mm kitaeji yanagiba. The website underwent mainly performance enhancements, i added a section with some of my stones and put up a section for comparisons. The latter is still under construction.

Funny fact, both knives are a fraction too long for the usual background i use in my makeshift photo booth. For the keen eye, the wooden background warp the other way compared to the short knives. Nonetheless:

300mm kitaeji yanagiba:
4.jpg

Link to more information on the knife: here

330mm kitaeji yanagiba:
2.jpg

Link to more information on the knife: here

Noodle knife looks like a vinegar wash job. Pretty neat.

Whoa I remember when you said you were only going for 270mm or less, good way to buck the trend :cool2:

The JNS Ohira Renge Suita looks awesome too with all that surface area and aka renge.

Damn, Where are you getting your shigs! Just impressive your collection. $$ is a problem for my shig collection for sure.

Back