Some questions from a newbie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemeneid

Wasabi wabi sabi
Reaction score
Don't know where to start, so here goes. I have just returned from a trip to Japan and bought some knives and stones, I'm just an amateur chef with lots of questions.

First, I bought a Kikuichi Elite Carbon gyuto. Really light and nimble and sharp out of the box. So I put a patina on it with mustard and apple cider vinegar then sharpened and polished the edge with 1000 and 6000 Arashiyama stones followed by some light stropping over newspaper to finish the edge. So now its even sharper than out of box and goes through food flawlessly. However this blade reacts with food really fast, even with wiping and now the patina is starting to form on the edge too. Is this patina on the edge going to affect performance or do I need to keep polishing the edge to keep it in top shape??

Second, I bought a 270mm stainless sujihiki from Ashi Hamono. How do you even sharpen and polish that thing? The bevel is almost nonexistent yet out of the box, this knife is even sharper than my carbon gyuto. I've not put it through any hard work yet but I'm afraid I might screw up the edge once I sharpen it.

My sharpening skills probably need some work now, so if you've got any advice for me, I'm all ears :)

Back