Sous Vide Sous vide - help me get a good result

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Podzap,
It was at a hotel breakfast buffet in your home city that I had my first sous vide soft-cooked egg, This is what flipped my bit for the technique--quite simply the best texture and flavor soft egg I'd ever had. It's not for everything, or everybody, and I'm still learning what it does well and what should be done differently.
AC

Cool, which hotel was that? Obviously, I don't stay in hotels in Helsinki since I live here!

The nice thing about cooking steak is that it's not time-critical. So, if I'm preparing for six-or eight people, and have my hands full getting all sorts of side dishes ready, it can be a challenge to make everything come together "just so" at the right time, without over-cooking the steaks. With sous vide, the steaks can sit in the water for 1.5 hours or 2.5 hours and it doesn't matter. So, I can get everything ready and, once I'm sure there won't be any more surprises or delays, the steaks come out of the water for a very quick sear with a blowtorch. Done, and done reliably.

Good write up, man.

I suppose if I were cooking for 6-8 people inside the kitchen, I wouldn't be doing individual steaks in the first place. On the grill, no problem, but not in the kitchen. No, I'd just buy a 3-4kg entrecote or rib roast, put it in my convection steam oven for 45 minutes and then slice it at the table. Of course, that does rely on timing (you need to turn the oven on and also take the roast out when it's done).

Hah! Maybe people think that a "convection steam oven" is also a gadget :) Fact is, it cooks roasts in half the time of a normal convection oven.

If you were my neighbor, I'd hand you a ziplocked bag of chile seeds and ask you to SV them for 24 hours for super-fast sprouting :) And then I'd share some chiles with you when they were full-grown.

A steam oven should be great for sous vide if set at 100% steam? At least thats wat I've heard..

Lars

Thanks for all the suggestions! I made an Excel with a list of all of them.

Perhaps I was really orientating myself at the beginning too much on steaks that, like everybody is saying, are not the best thing to sous vide.
Confit duck legs sound interesting, perhaps I do Cassoulet next weekend ;)

I must also try some tougher cuts of meat (I really like pork shoulder suggestion) for much longer time. In fact I never tried to cook anything for more than 2.5 hours.

Unfortunately many cuts you are mentioning are not easily obtainable for me in Belgium, like brisket and short ribs. Butchers here cut meat in a different way!

But thanks for all suggestions. They made me want to try sous vide for some more and not lock it in the drawer.

A steam oven should be great for sous vide if set at 100% steam? At least thats wat I've heard..

Lars

Perhaps somewhat. Mine can be set to steam only and the lowest temp is like 30c, adjustable in 1c increments. I've never tossed vac bags in the oven, though. Plus, EU law limits all newish stovetops and ovens to 4 hours maximum operation and there is no way to override/disable this.

Also, my oven has a stand-alone tank which only lasts for about 30 minutes and then it starts beeping "refill me".

Plus, EU law limits all newish stovetops and ovens to 4 hours maximum operation and there is no way to override/disable this.
For a cooktop, I can sort of see this make sense. For an oven, it's pretty silly. What about those slow braises, or making jerky?

For a cooktop, I can sort of see this make sense. For an oven, it's pretty silly. What about those slow braises, or making jerky?

You get to drag your tired ass out of bed in the middle of the night to turn your oven on again. Seriously.

You get to drag your tired ass out of bed in the middle of the night to turn your oven on again. Seriously.
Bloody hell, that's just stupid. But that's what you get when politicians with no clue about technology and engineering, and without domain knowledge, get to legislate. Four hours, eh? How about something more usable, such as 10 hours if below 80 ºC, 6 hours if below 160 ºC, or some such?

But fear not. Here in Australia, we don't have politicians who legislate ovens. Instead, they legislate encryption. Classic example of the Dunning Kruger effect. But, in this case, the consequences are technical infeasibility, harming the Australian IT security industry, and eroding civil rights. Just a tad more significant than an inability to make jerky.

Never mind, move along, nothing to see here… :(

Bloody hell, that's just stupid. But that's what you get when politicians with no clue about technology and engineering, and without domain knowledge, get to legislate. Four hours, eh? How about something more usable, such as 10 hours if below 80 ºC, 6 hours if below 160 ºC, or some such?

As far as I can tell, it stems from the will to mitigate the massive strain placed on the shared EU power grids when you get 750 million people trying to cook a 10-15kg ham at the same time each year on the night of December 23rd-24th.

They have also limited the maximum wattage of domestic vacuum cleaner motors for the same reason now. The newer hoovers suck really bad now in that they don't really suck nearly as well as they used to :)

If everybody in Europe switches to SV cooking their hams then guess what's next? Circulators with hard-coded 4-hour operation :) :)

Last edited:
If everybody in Europe switches to SV cooking their hams then guess what's next? Circulators with hard-coded 4-hour operation :) :)
Hopefully not. Sous vide is amazingly energy efficient, especially if you use an insulated container.

For your oven, surely, there must be software hacks to disable the timer? I'd do some searches. There is a chance that someone in the "fix it" movement has come up with something.

:) If it won't stay on for more than four hours, it's bricked already…

The older ones had the timer connected to an analog on-off knob. You turned the knob to turn on the oven and depending how far you turned it, you got between 1 minute and 4 hours.

The new ones just have a silent built-in max-timer - if you don't set any timer at all, they will simply power off after 4 hours. Same with the newish stovetops.

But yeah, this is not specific to my appliances or Finland - this is EU-wide law.

Sure. And then it will go for max another 4 hours.

Wow that blows... we redid our kitchen in 2015 and got a series 8 Bosch (HBG633CS1S) no timer thankfully, and we were just thinking of swapping it for a steam convection, no room for a second oven. However after reading that not going to happen, thank you very much for that useful info :D!

Wow that blows... we redid our kitchen in 2015 and got a series 8 Bosch (HBG633CS1S) no timer thankfully, and we were just thinking of swapping it for a steam convection, no room for a second oven. However after reading that not going to happen, thank you very much for that useful info :D!

Have you actually tried leaving it on and seeing what happens at 4 hours?

Have you actually tried leaving it on and seeing what happens at 4 hours?

Yea made a few "joulu kinkku" with it since with very long cooks as well as a plenty of other cooks over 4 hrs, never shut down (unless programmed to with temp probe or timer).

Yea made a few "joulu kinkku" with it since with very long cooks as well as a plenty of other cooks over 4 hrs, never shut down (unless programmed to with temp probe or timer).

You got lucky with the Bosch it seems :) Every oven and most cooktops I've ever had shut down automatically during the middle of the night, the brand new ones and even the ones from 30 years ago.

Whirlpool (who also makes Ikea's ovens) has this to say:

"Automaattinen sammutus

Turvallisuussyistä uuni sammuu automaattisesti neljän ja puolen tunnin jatkuvan toiminnan jälkeen (Erikoistoimintoa lukuun ottamatta)."

Translation:

"Automatic shutdown

For safety reasons, the oven shuts down automatically after 4.5 hours of continuous operation (with the exception of special modes)."

Which might mean that it doesn't shutdown automatically if you are using a temp probe and don't hit your target temp during 4.5 hours or you set the timer for longer than that. My timer has a max setting of 4 hours.

Back