Sous Vide Sous Vide Wagyu>?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is a blasphemy but hear me out :).

Few weeks ago I made few dry aged bone-in wagyu ribeyes. Just fried in cast iron for 4 min per side and then stood it up on each end for another minute and it was still not even med rare in the middle. I finished it in oven and it was perf. When I cooked 2nd steak right after (it was 4 of us) even with full hood going, open door/windows it set off my wired fire alarm, which took a min to knock out. So...

My thought was maybe cook it to around 110f in sous vide, maybe 2 hrs and then dry it and get it crust to get it close to 130f. Maybe 90sec per side. My biggest fear is 2 ways: that all the tasty fat will render in sous vide part and I potentially kill the 30-40day dry age flavor. That funky nuttiness that makes me lick the bone clean.

2nd thought was just to remove bone before cooking it the original method, to cut the time and save bone for stock...

Not sure why one would be worried about too much fat rendering. That’ll happen if you leave it in there forever, but even if you sous vide at 125 instead of 110, just until it’s a uniform temperature, I doubt the amount of fat that would render would even be in the same ballpark (city? continent?) as what you’d lose from the sear. Can’t really imagine why you’d lose the dry aged flavor, either. Shouldn’t matter if you cook it in plastic or in the oven... Anyway, there are plenty of recipes out there for sous vide dry aged beef (eg on serious eats, if I remember correctly).

Then again, I’m no professional, so I’ll defer to those with more experience.

I have had dry aged meat 28 and 60 days sousvide and have not noticed a loss in the dry aged flavour at all. (just do em dry in the bag no butter or herbs).

Id suggest closer to your desired temperature e.g. u want 130f internal then 120-125F, guess it depends on searing capacity... Never had sousvide wagyu however, but doubtful it would make any difference.

It came out better than expected. Much easier to control doneness. I do feel some of the dry aging was lost but I think I am ok with that. It ended up more tender than just frying it. Overall, good result

Latest posts

Back