Storing carbon knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I opted for the “clean” solution of VCI paper alone. I’d assume tsubaki oil wouldn’t evaporate too quickly if it were covered and enclosed in a container, but the VCI paper was super easy. *fingers crossed* that it works! Time will tell...

hang on a wood covered magnet bar.

I was curious about this. I have a magnet bar but it doesn't have any wood covering or anything. Does it have the potential to damage knives without the softer surface to contact them?

I was curious about this. I have a magnet bar but it doesn't have any wood covering or anything. Does it have the potential to damage knives without the softer surface to contact them?

The short answer is yes, it might scratch your knives. What I did for a quick fix was wrapping a thin layer of cloth on it for temporary fix till I get some wood covered magnet bar.

Edit:
Photo for visual
View attachment 43333

Yes, it has the potential to damage them. If you are someone who prefers to keep everything mint and pristine I would recommend against them. However, they are cheap and work great and you can minimize the damage if you are careful. The most important thing is to attach the knife with the spine first. And then rotate the edge toward the strip. To remove the knife, do this process in reverse. Rotate the edge away from the magnet bar using the spine as a pivot. Then pull the knife straight away from the magnet strip to release the spine. Don't slide the knife against the magnet strip, especially if it has any kind of delicate/super polished/kurouchi finish. For single bevel knives, always put the knife uraoshi out. So that the bevel edge is away from contact with the strip. If you are careful then you can minimize damage considerably. I like the black and yellow ones that are 16" wide. They are available all over the place under different brand names for like 13$ a piece. I've had two for years and just picked up two more.

Heard. I have some wood scraps from some baking peels I had to cut down laying around. I may be able to size and fit one of them and just screw it in over the existing magnetic strip.

I contacted these guys for some VCI paper.
They also sent me some VCI bags, which they recommend for long term storage.
http://green-vci.com

Thanks I may order from them. I have a lot of carbon vintage wood chisels I just use a light coat of mineral oil store in cloth chisel bags. Could wrap some of my stored mono carbon chef knives too.

Back