Suehiro ouga 3k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Lavacca

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this guy? Looking for a 2-4k polish friendly stone to close a gap. Will follow a 1k. I know everyone loves the rika for polishing so I’m thinking this might be a good one. It’s the same series. I wanted the morihei 4k but I can’t make up my mind. Can’t find a lot of feedback on this suehiro. Thanks guys!

i have the ouka from fine-tools. its a soaker, takes ages to dry. medium soft, release quite a lot of abrasive. very good for kasumi.
this was made on a stainless clad r2 blade. not many stones can create any contrast on stainless but this one can.
suehiro3k2-jpg.93344

i have the ouka from fine-tools. its a soaker, takes ages to dry. medium soft, release quite a lot of abrasive. very good for kasumi.
this was made on a stainless clad r2 blade. not many stones can create any contrast on stainless but this one can.
suehiro3k2-jpg.93344
Man, that looks pretty good! Any glazing?

Ordered the morihei 4k. If I don’t like it i’ll sell it and buy this. Might just buy this one anyways. It’s only $55.

I also am interested in the ouka. It seems like it's a great choice for my wide bevel polishing progression. It's likely the next synthetic stone I will buy, because the king 4k just isn't giving me the results i need.

I also am interested in the ouka. It seems like it's a great choice for my wide bevel polishing progression. It's likely the next synthetic stone I will buy, because the king 4k just isn't giving me the results i need.
If you pick it up, let me know what you think. I really need a couple more synthetics myself. I want a good 400 and another 600. The 600 I have is really nice but sometimes I really wish I had something a little harder and less muddy.

I want a good 400 and another 600. The 600 I have is really nice but sometimes I really wish I had something a little harder and less muddy.

I will definitely let you know.

Maybe the chosera 400, or 600 would be a good choice for you. They seem like a good fit for those criteria.

If you pick it up, let me know what you think. I really need a couple more synthetics myself. I want a good 400 and another 600. The 600 I have is really nice but sometimes I really wish I had something a little harder and less muddy.

the glass 500 is very hard and no mud at all. its almost as fast as a 220. fairly certain it will outperform almost everything in the sub 1k class. also dishes very slow.

I’ve been thinking about the morihei 500. I was told by another member of this forum that it’s a great stone but it tends to hide scratches which is exactly what i’m trying to avoid. Was that your experience? I’m sure a lot of stones do and I usually switch up angles to try to prevent that but I would like to avoid that if I could. I think I definitely want the sigma 400. The shapton glass 500 I had but sold a long time ago. Always wanted to try one again though. Think I would go with the double thick one. I know it’s difficult but I’m exploring my options. Sometimes I almost wish I could find stones below 800 grit that create zero contrast. Just worry about contrast later. Maybe I should look into diamond resin bonded etc stones. Super expensive most of the time though.

missarkas, naniwa hibiki 1k and juuma 800/1200 create 0,0 contrast. you should look into stones that don't release any abrasives for that. dont know about the coarser SiC stones. those might be 0 contrast stones too. but SiC stones feel really crappy though.

Back