SUEHIRO SKG-24 (#3000 /#1000)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
The Suehiro SKG-24, 3K/1K combination stone looks really good for home users like myself. It is labeled as "Select Series" and I don't know if that is good or bad. At <$40USD to my door, the price seems pretty good as well.

Is this a "splash and go" stone or, do I need to consider a soaking tub? Any tips or suggestions for using it on a cleaver to tune it up? Any comparisons or contrasts to the more expensive (each grit is more expensive by itself than this combination stone) CERAX series?

TIA,
Sid

Fast wearing soaker. "Tuning up" a cleaver is likely to both take very long, and use up a lot of stone.

The blue 1000 is a soaker, needs about 10 min. The yellow 3000 side is splash and go. I have read somewhere that if you totally submerge the stone it may split at the seam. Sometimes I only soak the blue, sometimes the whole thing goes under the water, its not split yet. Its a very soft stone but I think its a nice stone to use.

I am looking at the Suehiro Debado SNE #600 to complement that stone. The Shapton Glass 500 double-thick at a similar price has also been recommended.

I just got the shapton glass 500 double thick. I really like it so far but I don't have a lot of experience with different stones. There's a sale at mtc kitchen. I think 2 glass stones gets you free shipping. I really like that the glass stones are splash and go so I don't have to plan. I tried thinning a iron clad gyuto on a SG 1000 and it dished pretty noticeably, so I would try something courser if you're thinking of doing that with a chinese cleaver.

I had a cerax 320 I think. I used it to try and thin a chinese cleaver many years ago, before I had any idea what I was doing. Given what I was trying to do, I probably should have just used sandpaper. Or bought a new knife.

Latest posts

Back