Suggest a setup, please and thank you

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillHanna

Gotta get ready for ARM
Reaction score
I currently own a Shinko Seilan 210 gyuto, a Mazaki KU 150 petty I just got two days ago, and I plan on getting a Munetoshi 165 petty. Stuck in Japan Post Since Apr 1 is a Moritaka nakiri and kawamuki. My stone right now is that basic king 1k/6k. I’m a home cook.

I like the feel of king deluxe 1.2k better than chosera 800. Chosera is a faster stone and less messy. I think, objectively Chosera is a better stone but I have a warm place for muddy king deluxe.

I'm not well versed in the sharpening world but..... the 1k/6k is pretty good at doing its job. I suggest permasoaking it and using that as your main stone while you add in a flattening plate like an atoma, maybe a Shapton Glass 500 for minor fixes/speed thing up if needed, and then a nice finisher for the edged like maybe a natural or synthetic natural of sorts. All depends on your budget and what you like. I either finish on a Shapton Pro 2k or a natural I got from Jki depending on the knife.

A Diamond stone if you don't have one - you should ask yourself what qualities in a stone you would like: soft, hard or in between - quick soaking stone, permanent soaking stone or splash and go - Fast metal removal, slow, medium - is price important ? Sky's the limit, 50$, 100$? What grit do you want - do you want to experience a super polished edge, something in between your 1000-6000 grit or just similar stones that does the same thing.

The main difference in the 1000 grit side of your combo and chosera would be: the chosera is harder, splash and go and much slower wearing

There are some obvious options out there: your king 1000/6000, chosera, Shapton pro, shapton glass. but you might ultimately end up using something enterly different then your initial thoughts, i know i did.

As for the king 6000 discussion, i seem to recall the 6000 grit on some of the king 1000/6000 combo stones are of a different bonding agent, then the normal 6000 grit stone. Which means the 1000/6000 should not be permasoaked. I have the regular 6000 grit, when that was in action i permasoaked that too, no issues.

I wasn’t sure if shirogami reacted better to any particular stone. I think I’d prefer splash and go, but am I trading anything out by not getting a soaker? My prelim thoughts were shapton pro 1k/5k. I’m concerned going lower than 1k would result in me eating a lot of steel, due to my inexperience.

King 6000 is not the stone you would want in water all the time or at all. Many people ruined these.

Works great for me. I got the advice from Jon who is a Dude when it comes to stones. He explained to me the reasoning behind it and why it works and why it wouldn't work to dry it afterwards but I don't really remember all that. I still don't use my 6k because I have other preferences but after permasoaking it I've been plenty capable of getting a great edge off it which wasn't as easy before.

it can be more convenient for some to just keep some permanently soaked stones in a tub somewhere. The fast soaking stones, which does not respond well to permanent soaking are the stones that makes the least practical sense to me personally.

Its a matter of opinion, but i personally love how shirogami reacts to a soaking stone, on something like your king 1000, the feel is great.

but feel is very hard to quantify and give advice on without trying things yourself in my opinion.

The shapton pro 1k/5k is the easy choise, no doubt.
Shapton pro are some of the harder and slower wearing, but still fast cutting stones out there. They are also some of the more robust stones out there when it comes to drying, they are not very sensitive as some other stones. Generally they are supposed to be very balanced.
I don't remember the technical aspect very well, but they are supposed to be a better pairing with stainless knives then soaking stones, when it comes down to wear and feel. Which could be relevant unless you practically only sharpen your carbon knives.

If you got your mind set on shapton pro i think the real question is what grits makes sense to you: The 2000 could be fast enough to be your main stone, something in between the 1000 and 5000 could be refined enough for your liking, maybe you want to experience something even higher in grit

Your intuitions on the wear of the steel are good, eventually you will want to invest in a low grit stone, for thinning and stubborn knives you decide to sharpen for family and freinds

Its a matter of opinion, but i personally love how shirogami reacts to a soaking stone, on something like your king 1000, the feel is great.

The shapton pro 1k/5k is the easy choise, no doubt.
Shapton pro are some of the harder and slower wearing, but still fast cutting stones out there. They are also some of the more robust stones out there when it comes to drying, they are not very sensitive as some other stones. Generally they are supposed to be very balanced.
I don't remember the technical aspect very well, but they are supposed to be a better pairing with stainless knives then soaking stones, when it comes down to wear and feel. Which could be relevant unless you practically only sharpen your carbon knives.
Your intuitions on the wear of the steel are good, eventually you will want to invest in a low grit stone, for thinning and stubborn knives you decide to sharpen for family and freinds
Slow wear/fast cut is something I didn’t know I needed to hear. I would’ve assumed the opposite.

I may have to get a low grit stone anyways. My wife uses my pre knife forums knives.

Yes the simple theory is : softer stone -> faster wear -> more/new shapening particles released = Faster cutting.
The full story is more complicated then that, you will have to hear it from someone who ownes the stones, but they are supposed to be very fast cutting, for what they are (ceramic stones).
They should be more then fast enough for what you resharpen, and have in your own house. On some knives the first sharpening may take a little longer though, as more material have to be removed. This should not be much different from what your used to with your king 1000/6000, but a having a lower grit stone in your arsenal will definitely help things

Back