Swedish carbon vs white 1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobudonnie

Reaction score
Which steel gets sharper? A white 1 steel by either togashi, Tanaka, or nakagawa, or a spicy white steel from either heiji or Shigefusa?

Which steel gets sharper? A white 1 steel by either togashi, Tanaka, or nakagawa, or a spicy white steel from either heiji or Shigefusa?
There is no practical difference in how sharp these steels get. There is very little theoretical difference in how sharp these steels get since both are very low alloy steels. There is very little practical difference in how sharp any of the knife steels get for knife tasks. Some are just harder to get sharp.

Which of these is Swedish? I see the designation on Missono Dragons -- they are not nearly as hard as white 1 by the top smiths mentioned above. Is spicy white Swedish? That sounds odd.

Which of these is Swedish? I see the designation on Missono Dragons -- they are not nearly as hard as white 1 by the top smiths mentioned above. Is spicy white Swedish? That sounds odd.
Yeah Heiji and Shig use Swedish carbon steel. But it’s different from Misono swed carbon steel. Pretty unparalleled in its edge taking IMO but good wh1 is not far behind along with that steel Raquin uses.

"Spicy White" is most likely referring to 26c3/125sc/145sc steels.

Bernal claims it's 26c3 Shigefusa Kitaeji 210mm Wa-Gyuto with Saya – Bernal Cutlery but it wouldn't be the first time a retailer was wrong
It could be or they are just inferring. The steel has been called Swedish steel, Swedish special steel, and rarely Swedish spicy steel. These names don't tell us anything really except that the steel is a Swedish steel. We can't even be sure that the exact steel formulation hasn't changed over the years. If someone wants to cut a piece of their heiji or shig and send it for analysis then we would know what the steel used for that batch was. It is some sort of low alloy steel, that supposed to be pure, whatever that means. Heat treats for heiji and shig seem to be different as even though it is supposed to be the same steel it acts slightly different in the two brands according to many reports.

All of this is really not relevant in answering OP's question since whatever these steels are they are close enough to each other to have the same sharpness potential.

Shirogami #1 has less alloying elements than both Swedish 26C3 or Shefcutt so I suspect it's potential is better
for ultimate sharpness of the three. That being said how much more I don't know. But I'm happy I have all 3 and
still have yet to make a Shirogami #1 or Shefcutt knife. Spicy White from my research is 26C3.

In my experience, hard white 1 (for example by TF) keeps an edge discernibly longer than the steel from shigefusa. For what it's worth, in my opinion Heiji's semistainless is top-3 in class while his swedish is a good but overall unremarkable simple carbon steel.

Back