Tadokoro Hamono W2 165mm Deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naptight

Reaction score
Hello. I don't fish and have never prepped/butchered a fish or even a bird. But I think it's something I should start doing. Mostly to get the family higher quality proteins. Rsk has their 50% off sale still going. So, looking at a Deba there. I probably would have gone for one of the house brand options for much less, but they're all sold out. So, what do you think about the Tadokoro Hamono W2 165mm Deba? Price is $325 at 50% off for a total of $165.50. And, do you think it's a good option for someone trying to get their feet wet in butchery?

https://realsharpknife.com/collections/deba/products/tadokoro-hamono-w2-165mm-deba

Last edited:
For that price why not? I had never butchered a fish before I got my deba but sometimes a new tool can inspire you to learn new skills and new recipes. Now filleting fish is one of my favorite kitchen tasks. I've also deboned duck with it, and while it's not designed for that task, it's fun to use in many butchery contexts. My deba is 165mm as well, it's a good starter length and works decently well on larger fish too.

For that price why not? I had never butchered a fish before I got my deba but sometimes a new tool can inspire you to learn new skills and new recipes. Now filleting fish is one of my favorite kitchen tasks. I've also deboned duck with it, and while it's not designed for that task, it's fun to use in many butchery contexts. My deba is 165mm as well, it's a good starter length and works decently well on larger fish too.
Thanks. So you think 165mm over 180mm?

For what it's worth, my first deba was a cheap 165mm Tojiro and when I upgraded I went for a 180mm, which I now prefer. Even for medium-sized red snapper/black bass, I find the extra length helpful. As an unexpected bonus, I also found the 180 to be excellent for slicing smaller cooked meats (steaks, for example).

Thanks. So you think 165mm over 180mm?
Having held both the 165 and 180 side by side when I bought mine, the extra 15mm didn't seem like enough of a difference to justify the increased cost. Now that I've gotten into fish butchery more, I can see how 180mm would be helpful for larger fish, but I've filleted fish as large as 5lb madai with the 165 with no issue. It's all preference and what size fish you're going to prepare, but if you're a total beginner, I'd err on the side of the smaller deba to learn how to use and sharpen, then maybe move up to a nice 180 if you feel the need.

Attachments

• IMG_8571.jpeg
    IMG_8571.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Doesn't matter all too much where you start, you'll feel for whether you want bigger or smaller. Deba sizes I have owned ... Uhhhh, 105mm, 120mm, 150mm, 165mm, 180mm, 210mm, 240mm (mioroshi and thinnish deba). As long as you can use it on fish that size, or poultry that size. I think @Greasylake and I have owned some of the most deba here. I think he has a 420mm deba too, something like that

Dg that's an absolute monster! I'm shocked at only weighs 1 lb. Looks like it could weigh 3 lb.

I ended up going with the 180 mm for versatility. Pretty excited to have my first single bevel. But, I'm more than a little worried about messing up Tadokoro's work. Maybe I should get a cheap yanagiba or something to practice with. Currently I have to use my 240 gyuto for a slicer.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter all too much where you start, you'll feel for whether you want bigger or smaller. Deba sizes I have owned ... Uhhhh, 105mm, 120mm, 150mm, 165mm, 180mm, 210mm, 240mm (mioroshi and thinnish deba). As long as you can use it on fish that size, or poultry that size. I think @Greasylake and I have owned some of the most deba here. I think he has a 420mm deba too, something like that
That 420mm has to feel like a hatchet!

Dg that's an absolute monster! I'm shocked at only weighs 1 lb. Looks like it could weigh 3 lb.

I ended up going with the 180 mm for versatility. Pretty excited to have my first single bevel. But, I'm more than a little worried about messing up Tadokoro's work. Maybe I should get a cheap yanagiba or something to practice with. Currently I have to use my 240 gyuto for a slicer.

Michael has some small ajikiris that are single bevel and not crazy expensive:
https://knifejapan.com/knife-types/ajikiri/
Of course he has deba and yanagiba too.

Back