Tanaka Attributes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok educate me! Now that I’ve bought and tried a few knives, I’ve realized that I really like how my Tanaka cuts.

The question is, why and what other makers am I likely to like? I think I’m talking mainly grind, how well it moves through food, quality of release.

Admittedly, this is a bit vague, so feel free to toss out follow up questions.

Which Tanaka do you have? The various lines are ground differently.

Which specific tanaka did you buy? It can vary depending on the steel and sharpener etc. Also, there are 2 Tanaka smiths who are quite different: Shigeki Tanaka and Yoshikazu Tanaka. Have you tried many other knives for comparison, are there any you don't particularly like?

the b2 stainless and b2 dammy also differ so need to be specific and people can help.

Ah from k&s they are from Shigeki. To be honest these are incredible value for money. I have a bunka of his I bought from another retailer a few years ago. If you like his heat treat etc, check out the nashiji line he's been sending to cktg, they are outrageously thin and cut like a dream, although are quite fragile because of this. For a tougher knife with (in my opinion) better edge retention and easier to sharpen check out munetoshi from jns. To me these are on a par with the very best knives out there and are in a similar bracket to tanaka in terms of fit and finish, grind etc.

If you buy the non "lite" version from K&S they are very nicely finished indeed with great handles. Way better fit & finish than Munetoshi but the Mune is a great knife as well.

O.P., if you have the dammy blue Tanaka, it compares favorably with Toyama, though I favor the later, the former costs half as much.

If you have the Tanaka nashiji stainless clad blue 2 , I feel like it is similar to many Takefu Village knives. I will say I've been through quite a few knives from the village from various makers and they are all no longer in my collection. The Tanaka remains as my favorite knife with this type of grind.

Whichever Tanaka blue you have, I would encourage you to acquire the other. Both are fantastic knives and are very different allowing you to use them on different tasks which will let them shine in their own way.

If you have the KU blue, I can't really help you. I've almost purchased this knife a few times but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

It must be the thinness behind the edge, convex grind and light weight, which is well balanced. I think these attributes are fairly similar across lines, I also appreciate the good value these knives offer.

Ok educate me! Now that I’ve bought and tried a few knives, I’ve realized that I really like how my Tanaka cuts.

The question is, why and what other makers am I likely to like? I think I’m talking mainly grind, how well it moves through food, quality of release.

Admittedly, this is a bit vague, so feel free to toss out follow up questions.
Wakui. Also stainless clad carbon. Also about $200. Also phenomenal cutter. One could ignore all the stuff we talk about here and just stick to these 2 makers and would live quite happily.

I've had my Tanaka 240 (KU, B2) for 18 months and I haven't bought another gyuto (this will probably get me banned) because I like it so much. I have a Tanaka petty and nakiri and I like them a lot as well.

I've had my Tanaka 240 (KU, B2) for 18 months and I haven't bought another gyuto (this will probably get me banned) because I like it so much. I have a Tanaka petty and nakiri and I like them a lot as well.

No gyutos in 18 months? :eek:Get out of here!

That's the goal when my USA edition tanaka blue 2 comes in.

I get it. When I got my Tanaka ginsan gyuto many years ago I pretty much stopped using other knives for a good while. I couldn’t believe how nimble it was, how thin behind the edge, and inexpensive. Part was the steel I’m sure as it was my first stainless blade. Although in general I prefer harder steels It really shaped my preferences going forward. Still my go to at home.

Back