Tanaka Ginsan Migaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I'm so anxiously waiting to get mine! Someone please post first impressions when they start coming in???
:IMOK:

I don't get it, it's not a wide bevel knife anymore... Pass.

I believe he has the wide bevel nashiji ones also.

In fact, gyuto-wise, that's all he has right now.

I assume that has to do with the new ones being "thin-grind". Thin enough to not have room for a wide bevel?

arrived this morning 😀
2v9da29.jpg

arrived this morning 😀
2v9da29.jpg

Stainless blue 2 or new Ginsan? Please go cut something and report back:)

Edit: just realized it must be the new Ginsan, can't wait for a review.

秀之作=ginsan
誠貴作=blue 2
:D

Another one in QLD. Mine arrived this morning too.

First impressions - It's thin. Handle is beautiful. Spine has a slight dip/curve. It's thin!

178g but it feels much lighter. Balances quite far back. Maybe 1/2 finger width in front of the heel.

Looking forward to trying it at work.

Does the new ginsan have the same grind as the b2 Damascus

Does the new ginsan have the same grind as the b2 Damascus
No they are quite a bit thinner. The Nashiji is a wide bevel grind which is also different to the B2 damascus.

James would it be possible to get these with high quality plain ho wood buffalo horn D shape handle? If so, take my pre-order now please.
Tanaka doesn't have any decent ho wood handle at all. I asked him once, at the time he told me he had "only 2" handles that are with horn, not even decent. I know the decent ho wood handle, we are talking about the ones like shigs, which were polished quite well. Unfortunately don't have access to those.

James

Stainless blue 2 or new Ginsan? Please go cut something and report back:)

Edit: just realized it must be the new Ginsan, can't wait for a review.

Uuuuuhh and aaaaahh! :dazed:

Man these look sweet! :doublethumbsup:

Not at all sorry to attempt to derail the thread but can you guys stop talking about it already. Now I will have to go and buy one, and my wife is already peeved at the number of knives cluttering our bench top ! [emoji6]

Its ok we are keeping James at the top and discussing his knives. Monosteel knives are more fragile than san mai blades. The main davantage of san mai is the cladding is generally made of non hardenable steel. Less hard means less brittle. I.e. a german blade at 52 hrc would be harder to damage than a japanese blade @ 62 hrc. Thats why many of us keep a cheap beater for things like squash and lobster tails etc. If you chip a san mai blade normally the cladding minimalzes damages. Also stainless san mai allows one to only have to worry about the edge not the cladding. They are also easier to thin, random low carbon stainless @ 28 hrc is basically like butter on the stones compared to a say 62 hrc zdp blade which would be frozen parmesan. If you wanted patina id go for an iron cladding like kato or ikeda.

This does not apply. A San mai is easier to chip than a monosteel, because as usually the core is 1/5 of the total wound that of the spine (in rare cases the 1/3)

Look what Santa brought Me! :pirate1:

The shiro kamo Is huge!

o6fpr6.jpg

How are the first impressions?
I have the same pair coming in 240 size.

Received my two Tanaka Ginsans yesterday. One is a 240 Migaki (new style). The other is a 210 Nashiji (old style). Was hoping to pick up a 240 of each style, but the only 240 Nashiji James had was the factory 2nd listed on his site.

The Migaki and the Nashiji are very different from each other. The Migaki is light, not laser light, but definitely on the lighter side. Reminds me a lot of my Akifusa PM. The Nashiji is more robust, and that finish gives the knife a rustic appeal. In fact, the ebony handle is almost too pretty for the blade. Both knives weigh ~175 grams even though the Migaki is 30mm longer.

Used the Nashiji to prep dinner last night because I needed to power thru some galangal for Thai soup. Also sliced some cheese for a quick snack. First impression was that food release was great. Nothing sticks to that Nashiji. Hope to use the Migaki later this week.

Yesterday I finally got my Tanaka Migaki Ginsan.

WHAT - A - KNIFE ! ! ! :dazed:

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned how thin this thing really is behind the edge? After seeing it I would have thought it would've been a hot topic by now??? ...Because man it is thin?

The Tanaka 240 Migaki is thinner behind the edge than the Takamura 210 R2. So there! :laugh:
I've always enjoyed Tanakas grinds a lot, but this is really is a different animal.

Yesterday I took it to work for some serious test driving and it's cutting performance exceeded all my expectations and it's a very beautiful knife too. Happy days indeed!!

Back