Tanaka Gyuto where to buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
Last knife I bought was a samll Tanaka 185mm gyuto in Blue #2 (damascus) from Metal Master. I love this little guy so much that I would like to buy a big brother (240mm). However it looks like metalmaster is dropping the ball, and does not have much selection any more.
Any idea where I can still buy similar Tanaka knive, I don't care for damascus, for a decent price? I would prefer not to go with the one you cannot name store.

Thanks for any tips.

Email james and ask when he's doing his next batch. Same price point as the devil. But comes with polished spi e and choil and a way nicer handle. I have two tanakas from him one with a nice walnut and brass handle the other with a nice bubginda and brass handle. I think they were $150-$170 usd for a 240.

As I (and others) have said, Takeshi does not adhere to the Western expectations that your hand will be held throughout the transaction. I have ordered over half a dozen knives from MetalMaster and all of them have arrived in due time. Yes, his stock levels fluctuate, as does every dealer in Japanese knives. He has just restocked the 240 damascus blue #2t: http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/33 Whether a KU finished one will show up is anyone's guess.

Rick

preizzo, did not know about this site. Thanks m8.

Godslayer, who's James?

Pensacola Tiger, f-cking A! I cant believe I overlooked his stock.Did not see that one. Million thanks.

Perhaps somebody knows if his VG10 series is as good as Blue #2?

who's James?

Perhaps somebody knows if his VG10 series is as good as Blue #2?

James = knivesandstones.com; the specific knife is here
re: vg10 or blue2: its stainless v. carbon, so...its not apples to apples.

I just ordered a blue 2 kurouchi 180 from MetalMaster...with shipping it was $59...will likely need a bit of work, but if it cuts half as well as the others I've had it will be quite the knife.

Email james and ask when he's doing his next batch. Same price point as the devil. But comes with polished spi e and choil and a way nicer handle. I have two tanakas from him one with a nice walnut and brass handle the other with a nice bubginda and brass handle. I think they were $150-$170 usd for a 240.

I can't speak to the standard one, but James' one at K&S is awesome. To the point I'm sad he doesn't offer a matching 150mm petty.

The one from cleancut.se has a wooden box. The knife it s different from the one who mm selling.
Slightly Thicker, taller and heavier. More like a workhorse.
I sold mine because I purchased a kato otherwise I would never sell it.

The one from cleancut.se has a wooden box. The knife it s different from the one who mm selling.
Slightly Thicker, taller and heavier. More like a workhorse.
I sold mine because I purchased a kato otherwise I would never sell it.

That's actually really odd. The weight does seem different from it's listed, the MM one is lighter.

That's actually really odd. The weight does seem different from it's listed, the MM one is lighter.

MM listed weight makes no sense at all (never has)..blue 2 dammy will be same grind with possibility of different handles, etc...my blue 2 240 was 55mm @ heel and 209g after a few sharpenings and a thinning...again, same knife.

Yes different knives.
I prefer the one from cleancut.se
That why I sold my tanaka r 2, was amazing knife just to light for my taste. [emoji1]

How was the handle from cleancut.se is it any better than the standard version?

Back