Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto? Or some other Nashiji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
How do these knives compare to similarly priced options? I see a lot of talk about the Denka series being either the best available or having serious faults. Searching around for the Nashiji I didn't turn up much. I need a bit more length than my Santoku for compact cutting board usage with fruits and leafy greens so, I'm thinking a 195mm Nashiji might be a good option at ~$250USD from the maker. If I cut Potatoes and similar things with it, will it have food release? How about wedging on a Sweet Potatoes? This would knife would also be part of my travel kit so, a simple easy to maintain knife is important to me. While I like a thin BTE knife, it needs enough 'meat' in the blade to do things like chunk up boneless meat along with carrots, potatoes, etc. for a campfire stew off my motorcycle and by my tent along the road at random parks and rest areas. Other than the edge, they should be pretty durable to neglect buried in a travel bag.

These appear to be simple construction knives that are essentially 'blanked' from sheet stock and then a final finish is applied so, I'm assuming the common faults I see referenced won't be present. An over grind on the edge though could be an issue. How is heat treat and the handle?

I'm open to other suggestions in the 180mm~210mm range.

Teruyasu.net gyuto_nashiji

07141421_500101c2568a8.jpg

What other makers should I consider while looking for a Nashiji travel knife like this? I'm not looking for something fancy so, perhaps the Teruyasu is overkill. I tend to think a simpler White steel is better as well for ease of edge 'touch ups' on the road and being less likely to have an edge chip if I hit a seed in a piece of fruit or cut a hard rind on fruit or vegetables. White steels properly heat treated seem to get and keep a very keen edge pretty easily so, touch ups with a ceramic road or small stone would probably suffice on the road.

I've experienced everything from super laser grind to fairly wedgy, and everything in between for TF. I recommend reaching out to the seller to see if they have what you want. Generally though, the most common I've found is a fairly medium grind that is not extremely thin behind the edge, and relatively robust halfway up the blade.

+1 on the JCK recommendation. I've pick up one of the TF from koki as well and highly recommend buying from him.

I'm thinking a 195mm Nashiji might be a good option at ~$250USD from the maker.
Fyi, with the current exchange rate, the nashiji model should run you probably around $200 including shipping. $250ish can get you a Maboroshi. Personally I think the Maboroshi feels really nice in hand due to the extra weight. And the hammered texture feels more premium to me compared to the nashiji version. I doubt there is much difference in the core steel performance, so you are mainly paying for different finish in blade and handle.

Back