Tesshu honyaki gyuto blue#2 - thoughts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wind88

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a Tesshu honyaki gyuto blue 2 and is wondering if there are any owners out there willing to share their thoughts on either the blue 2 or white 2 version.

Thanks for looking.

Had a white 2 version and was a great value. Takeshi is a good guy over at aframes!

Hey Wind88 ... i have not but when it comes in I would really like to have a look at it, I want to compare my kono honyaki. supposedly they are both forged by shiraki, and really the grind and polish is what separates them.
I know remember you are in Toronto as well.

sure Lucas.

I'm interested in seeing the Kono honyaki as well.

i have a blue 2, have only used it a couple of times. Overall I'm happy with it, wish it's a little taller, otherwise no real complaints.

what is the height at heel for your blue 2? Takeshi told me it's 47mm for the 270.

what is the height at heel for your blue 2? Takeshi told me it's 47mm for the 270.

Per the website:

Blade Length (from the tip to Machi); 10 1/2 inch (270mm) Handle Length; 5 1/2 inch (141mm) Total Length; 16 1/2 inch (420mm) Knife weight is 7.0oz. The heel part of the spine width; 3mm (1/8 inch) wide. The width from the heel to the spine; 47mm (1 7/8inch) Handle; octagonal shaped water buffalo horn bolster / ebony body / white line BLADE; Mizu Honyaki Blue II Steel Blade (polish finish like semi-mirror, ripple lines on the both sides)

yeah, it's listed as 47mm but hopefully it will be closer to 49 or 50mm as I have read some 240 at around 48mm.

My white 2 honyake was 47-48 mm tall. They are a traditional sakai profile, so won't be a lot of variance.

I own a w#3. its about 48 mm tall. edge length is like 245 mm. Really a beautiful knife and a great performer, gets wicked sharp and holds it well. Patina is nuts also(If you like patina's on a honyaki)

any taller is a custom request .... at 47 blade height.. ... for 270mm Gyuto... it may come across as a hybrid of a Slicer and gyuto ? and the profile wld be a longer flat spot?

rgds D

Did you happen to purchase the knife? If so I'm interested on your thoughts because I'm also looking into the knife

I got 270 blue#2 honyaki awhile ago but I haven't really had the chance to play with it too much.

It measures 48 at the heel and really nimble for a 270. The blade is crazy thin and probably even thinner than the 240 konosuke HD2 I had before.

The knife just glides through everything with minimal resistance, however, the food release is poor due to blade thinness and mirror polish.

Overall, I would buy it again in a heart beat and some one should really buy that 270 white#2.

Latest posts

Back