That time of the year. ECG Anyone ??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh man, a chance to meet Del and Hoss, all while enjoying the company of Warren, Dave M, Butch, and the other stars from last year?!? All combined with automatic weapon firing?!? This is really turning out to be a 'don't miss it' event!

BTW, we're also expecting to have some demos. David (the Boardsmith) is going to do a bit on maintaining your cutting boards and I believe Dave is working on something as well :)

Maybe these guys don't know who Tim Zowada is Dave? I can't believe there was no reaction. This is shaping up to be the best ECG yet! Maybe you should post something about his work. I can't believe we'll have so many accomplished blade makers in attendance!

That never occurred to me since I've known of Tim for so long but that's a good idea.

Tim Zowada is a well accomplished custom knifemaker who has spent at least the last 30 years making high end custom knives as well as his own damascus that he has supplied to the knife industry on many levels. In the last few years Tim has dedicated his pursuits towards making the best straight razors that money can buy. See Zowada Razors @ ClassicShaving

In the past 1/2 year or so Tim has started down two addtional paths, the first making his own Tamahagane steel made from beach sand from Lake Michigan while employing modern methods to pull the most performance possible out of this method of steel production. The second is in entering the field of high end kitchen knifemaking where he will produce a limited amount of kitchen knives each year in both his own damascus and likely Tamahagne too.

For those of you who know about Tim's work you will know how well sought after these kitchen knives will be.

As for Tim coming to ECG, well we invited him and he accepted. He's going to be discussing some of the things that he's working on so expect a small presentation from him. I know that I'm not going to miss this for anything. :)

im glad to have talked with Del today and this came up (i dont read much of the OT stuff

kelly was asking abut this not long agao and i had told her i had not heard anything

now i can start making plans (kelly may or maynot be able to make it )

it turns out there might be a small chance i can make it out there... kind of excited

Great news Jon...

Does everyone realize what's shaping up here? Mr. Ealy. Mr. Zowada. Mr. Harner. Mr. Thomas (maybe). AND the possibility of demo's !!!! This may never happen again!

Oh man, maybe I should just send my visitors to a hotel and come over...

Stefan

After consulting Warren through Dave(I was talking with him anyway) I have decided to do a knife blade forging demo where I will be forging out a small blade or two. I will have my starting pieces to show and pass around as well as the finished product for all to see. The demo sould give you a good idea of how we as smiths move the hot metal around using a hammer. Forging demos are as much fun for me to do as for you guys to watch. I know I got my interest in forging from watching such a demo almost 25 years ago. If all goes as planned I will be forging for about an hour,and doing 2 or if time permits 3 blades, so everyone should have the oppurtunity to see all aspects of the project I am forging. I will be using a small propane fired forge I built myself. I will also be available for questions during the demo and afterwards, although I won't be answering many questions when I am hammering. :) :) :)

if i can find a 220 line on a range outlet i can bring my VS KMg grinder and maybe do a grinding demo or something (i can just see a work tent with tim del and i playing around )

and it will be the most high class hammer in i have ever heard of (gourmet snacks while watching craftsmen at work)

Butch, there's a 220 outlet right below my knives in the kitchen, and a window immediately to the right to pass the cable to the outside. How long of a cord do you have? I think there's another in the garage, but I'll have to check.

my cord is jsut steel covered romex with a cloths dryer plug splice (more then 20 feet i think)

220 plugs come in various configurations you may want to send warren a pic to confirm that your plug matches his receptical ...i am really looking forward to this year..

its a cloths dryer plug that is tied int my romex inside of a elect outlet box then therun is to my VFD to convert to 3ph for the grinder
i ll get the nema plug number

sounds lirk this will be the mother of all "hammer ins"

Butch, I don't have a 3 phase converter..... or are you saying you have one to bring along? They're pretty heavy aren't they?

Butch, I don't have a 3 phase converter..... or are you saying you have one to bring along? They're pretty heavy aren't they?

Warren,
there is no need for a three-phase converter. The Variable Frequency Drive on a grinder is basically a converter from single phase to a three phase grinder motor.

If this is the three prong receptacle you have,
http://www.dryerpartsonline.com/assets/images/3-prong-receptacle.jpg
than grinder can plug directly into it. If not, we can make an extension cord to plug in into existing receptacle, but with an output receptacle to accommodate Butch's grinder three prong plug assuming that is what he has (dryer plug).

Marko

sorry i did tell sam :)

he can make the KU style stuff so i guess he is ok and her need deeds to see that really sharp stuff looks like so he can get better

Latest posts

Back