The Future of Fish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the ethics is very much dependent on the culture and time within human history then. Because we as humans have progressed in our knowledge about sentience of other species. Main thing with sea creatures is you tend not to hear them

@foody and location too. Using a location's ecosystem as part of it, or selling a sustainable amount of your surplus, or building a whole infrastructure to support bringing old habits to the large cities on a massive scale, all different kettles of ...

The second irony is: "critters, eat them all alike" would be the more antispeciesist argument, but not the more humane.

Bugle mouthed bass? It would take a lot of convincing.

I saw an article that called them Kentucky tuna" once. I still don't think that's all the way there. Maybe call them something cod, like the Patagonia toothfish became a Chilean seabass.

Bluefish is an oily fish and stands up well to Mediterranean dishes.

Bluefish can be extraordinary if it is prepped correctly. As a fisherman who prepares his own catch I have found that bleeding the fish and then excising the bloodline from the fillet can transform its flavor.

There is nothing like good smoked blue fish though...alone or incorporated in other dishes. In Pate form especially

Bluefish can be extraordinary if it is prepped correctly. As a fisherman who prepares his own catch I have found that bleeding the fish and then excising the bloodline from the fillet can transform its flavor.

There is nothing like good smoked blue fish though...alone or incorporated in other dishes. In Pate form especially

I'm intrigued! Where can I find smoked blue fish???? (I'm in NJ, right across the river from Manhattan)

If only someone in the US could convince people Asian carp are good eating. We could do with fewer of those in the water.

Isnt someone already doing that and selling to asian american consumers?

I'm intrigued! Where can I find smoked blue fish???? (I'm in NJ, right across the river from Manhattan)

I find it available at fish markets. Blue fish are in huge abundance from August through October around here. Their schools are massive and they tend to be easy to catch (though a bit harder to handle). There are several local markets who provide smoked full fillets. Pate is more difficult to find.

Send a PM if you come up empty and I'll ship you some. Cheers

Eat fish and other seafood a lot at home. As long as wild caught salmon is available will buy it. When go out to eat almost always order seafood. Don't eat Marlin the big fish have more mercury content.

Grew up eating seafood not likely to change at my age. :O. Almost 4X as many people since I was born many of the billions of people on earth live in coastal regions & eat seafood it is not hard to see how the oceans are under stress.

Couple of my nieces my sister's daughters grew up with seafood lots of fresh fruits & Veg. Both married guys who grew up on junk fast food. Burgers & fries, Fried Chix, Pizza etc. I know people that simply will not eat any fresh vegetable.

I like panko crusted NZ or Japanese Oysters too most people don't eat oysters.

Fish, and more recently shrimp, stocks in the Gulf of Maine have been in trouble for quite a while. Part of the problem definitely has been over-fishing but warming and more acidic waters seem to be adding to the problem.
As of 2016 our stocks of Atlantic Mackerel and Bluefish are in good shape but neither of those are readily commercially available (aside from smoked Mackerel), at least in a retail environment. Both are strong flavored and quick to spoil so not to everyone's taste but I enjoy both of them. Lobster, Scallops, Mussels, Oysters and Clams all seem to be in good shape and the farming appears sustainable. Pollock stocks are also fairly healthy here and there is a push to get more people to eat Acadian Redfish and Dogfish/Cape Shark as they are also relatively abundant. After that the picture starts to look grimmer. Hake and Monkfish are still moderately abundant but less so than the preceding species. Occasionally harpooned swordfish shows up in our seafood markets and, mercury concerns aside, the harvest method is at least sustainable.
Personally, I'm trying to give up almost all Tuna but it is a struggle as I love it. Cod and most ground fish (Monkfish aside) I've stopped eating. I was never a fan of farmed Salmon or farmed Tilapia. I'm willing to give Lionfish a try if it starts to become available. I'll leave Asiatic Carp to you inland folks.

If only someone in the US could convince people Asian carp are good eating. We could do with fewer of those in the water.

They are so darn ugly though. Ewww. We have plenty of some kind of Carp here, and no warnings from MN DNR Fish Consumption Advisory for the stuff they check. Northerns on the other hand are not recommended to eat very often. After a foray of try to cook an Eeelpout I'm pretty shy of ugly fish.

This may be of interest to some of you -

I have a good friend who is a wholesaler here in Madiera Beach, FL and I used to manage the place. All of the fish that come across the dock are caught in a responsible way in U.S. waters. While some fish are caught via longline, there have been measures taken to protect the resource such as using smaller hooks and lighter leader lines so larger breeder fish are able to break away. The captains have been educated and only fish in certain areas. The by catch is minimal and whatever by catch there is comes in and is able to be sold and eaten. These are just lesser known fish but they are mainly mild tasting fish that are pretty damn good. He also has fish that has been harvested by spearfishing. The shooters selectively harvest these fish and this results in zero by catch. I personally love spearfishing as you get a chance to go down and see everything with your owns eyes. You can then select what fish you would like to have for dinner (assuming you're good enough to shoot one).

Each and every fish gets a tracking tag placed on them with their own tracking number. This number can be entered online and also the seller and buyer to see what captain/boat caught the fish and where it was harvested in the Gulf. All of the fish are immediately gutted and iced. When they come across the dock, the are immediately packed in vats with fresh ice and placed on a refrigerated truck to go to fish houses around the country.

Please contact them if you're interested in providing a sustainable caught fish on your menu.
http://www.wildseafoodco.com/WildSeafoodCompany/
https://www.facebook.com/WildSeafoodCo/

Tell him Big Brian pointed you in his direction.

This may be of interest to some of you -

I have a good friend who is a wholesaler here in Madiera Beach, FL and I used to manage the place. All of the fish that come across the dock are caught in a responsible way in U.S. waters. While some fish are caught via longline, there have been measures taken to protect the resource such as using smaller hooks and lighter leader lines so larger breeder fish are able to break away. The captains have been educated and only fish in certain areas. The by catch is minimal and whatever by catch there is comes in and is able to be sold and eaten. These are just lesser known fish but they are mainly mild tasting fish that are pretty damn good. He also has fish that has been harvested by spearfishing. The shooters selectively harvest these fish and this results in zero by catch. I personally love spearfishing as you get a chance to go down and see everything with your owns eyes. You can then select what fish you would like to have for dinner (assuming you're good enough to shoot one).

Each and every fish gets a tracking tag placed on them with their own tracking number. This number can be entered online and also the seller and buyer to see what captain/boat caught the fish and where it was harvested in the Gulf. All of the fish are immediately gutted and iced. When they come across the dock, the are immediately packed in vats with fresh ice and placed on a refrigerated truck to go to fish houses around the country.

Please contact them if you're interested in providing a sustainable caught fish on your menu.
http://www.wildseafoodco.com/WildSeafoodCompany/
https://www.facebook.com/WildSeafoodCo/

Tell him Big Brian pointed you in his direction.

This is great to hear, there is an under appreciation for Gulf and Caribbean smaller fish that are really great and fun to butcher.

What do you think of Four Fish?
From Five Books:
For wild fish, he says flat out that we must reduce fishing effort. There are too many fishermen in too many boats chasing too few fish. He suggests that certain areas of the oceans be completely off limits for fishing, and that we manage fish populations such as tuna, which can travel across oceans, on a global basis. For fish farming, he says that the species we raise should be efficient. Salmon, for instance, are carnivores that must be fed more fish protein than they produce. That’s not efficient. Tilapia can get by on a vegetarian diet. So that is more efficient. Any fish farm should not damage wild systems and we should limit the number of fish farms in a given area.

:dontknow:

Last edited by a moderator:
But tilapia taste so awful that the only thing they could possibly be useful for is feeding to salmon, so that doesn't get you anywhere.

This entire question is pretty central to my day. The restaurant that I work at has a great advantage in having wholesale licenses. This gives us the same buying abilities, if not volume leverages, as purveyors and allows us to develop relationships with fishermen.

This in turn allows us to be more choosy about what we sell, not only because we deal directly, but because purveyors know we can and do deal directly and if we are mislead about provenance or sustainability we can cut them out. We can't afford the time or effort to cut them out entirely, but it does help keep them honest.

It also allows us to reach out to small producers and offer them what we would pay a wholesaler, giving them an incentive to offer us first pick, look for a certain species.

I know a dab of the science here, my fathers background is in marine biology, but fisheries management is a mind numbingly complicated thing that is being executed by some very smart and honest people alongside some greedy government agencies.

A few good options:

Look up OpenBlue cobia farms. This guy is doing open water aquaculture in Panama, with what appears to be a pretty neutral environmental impact. Could be a total sham, but a couple of scientists I've asked said it looked legit.

Eat crabs (stone crab claws are great, just follow the law, no crabs killed!) and oysters, as well as clams and scallops if you are in FL. I guess I should make it clear that I only know the seafood of the upper Gulf of Mexico very well. These are all solid fisheries with pretty simple and low impact mariculture options.

Find the guy who spear fishes recreationally and make friends. This guy is going out anyway, has ZERO bycatch, and would love to pay for the gas and his boat payment. Our guy has a commercial and pelagic license. When he gets a tuna, he kills one fish. The only way his environmental impact would drop is if he swapped his outboards for paddles.

Livengood, I just remembered you're in MI. None of my advice, save OpenBlue applies. I hope it was at least entertaining!

I love eating fish but after reading this thread I started having second thoughts.Better to take fish off the menu or having any substitutes.

Back