the ideal omelette pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update, I wound up buying what I figured I would want all along...worked better this way because I got a few extra nice non-stick pans that I actually needed by going through the exercise (thanks BK).

I should've taken a before pic, but this is close...after getting rid of most of the wax and one round of potatoes, salt and oil. Other pan is a few weeks into a re-seasoning (multiple layers of flax oil).

20160106_235204_zps1jlfes7t.jpg

This is after one fried egg that slid all around the pan...not even an attempt at sticking. I'm going to baby it and go natural the rest of the way--skipping the flax oil and just cooking eggs. That said, I likely won't try an omelette until after a few more fried eggs...don't want to blow the first one I try:lol2:

20160107_014543_zpsye4vchnd.jpg

Quite a bit of time to get closer to these which I've finally gotten to the point of being able to use metal utensils without worrying about the seasoning.

20160106_235059_zpskke9zoj9.jpg

Should note that I never got the pan screaming hot (may come back to haunt me), but it was hot enough to burn butter twice before I got the temp right for the egg...:laugh: I only say this because from my recollection the pans usually get a bit darker all the way around at first shot of heat--I remember MB mentioning going through a bunch of steps to remove the wax...I scrubbed well and thought I had gotten most of it...hopefully I hit that sweet spot of maybe just enough left of the pan to work for you? This is after having quite a few deBuyer and seemingly the hardest ones I've had to season are the Mineral.

Took too long, but almost forgot to mention that the new pan seems to be exactly the shape and size that I was looking for in the first place. :doublethumbsup:

I use the All Clad d5 Stainless Nonstick and the pan is only used for omelettes. I have other All Clad and Cast Iron pans for other cooking but, my d5 stays in it's draw string bag until it's omelette time.

Jack

I use (for all frying) large (32cm) carbone plus from deBuyer. Last time I did pancakes after fish - NO problem. I clean the pan (only with water and if necessary with steel 'sponge'). I like the pan more with every use. After frying something that leaves no burned-on residue (eggs, pancakes, etc) I wife the pan with paper towels while still hot, let it get to the point where the fat (what ever was used, mostly rice oil) starts to burn and then let it cool. If I have rests of food burned to the surface, than immediately after cooking I bring the pan to smoking point (with residual fat removed, so the pan is just 'dirty'.) and splash it with water - most of the food residue jumps off the surface and the rest is removed with steel sponge and water (no detergent), than I dry the pan, put it back on still-hot (but not running) stove (glass-top) and let it there. From time-to-time I do burn the pan on the stove after pancakes (but again, wipe all of the remaining fat away before). I am not sure whether this sounds right, but it seems to work fine. The pan is slippery-smooth to touch and pancakes/edges show very little stiction.

Maybe someone on this thread can help me - I switched to a cast iron skillet a few months ago and I'm having a devil of a time keeping the seasoning on. The seasoning is getting applied in the Cook's Illustrated method (warmed pan, rubbed in organic flax-seed oil, baked at 500* for an hour and then cooled in the oven, multiple times).

The problem is that I did this right after moving to an apartment with (ugh) an electric stove, and if the pan is used for anything that takes longer than a quick scramble of eggs, the seasoning burns off in a shape that matches the burner coil. This happens even with the burner set on HALF heat, which is weak enough that it takes noticeably longer to cook. Is there something I'm doing wrong to cause that, or do electric burners just play hell with seasoned cast iron?

Amazon will be delivering a countertop induction plate today, so hopefully that will make it behave better, but my fear is that I'm misapplying the seasoning and getting the pan hot enough to cook will scorch it off, no matter how the heat is applied.

@matus: i used to do that almost exactly but now i've changed my method a bit. I use coarse salt and paper towel instead of steel wool/steel sponge. The salt might (that's a massive MIGHT) help with the polymerization but really it gets the gunk off without hurting my precious. I don't use water anymore because my water is very hard and i find if i spray the pan when hot it takes off seasoning. so no more water for me. Just the usual wipe after or something caked (lol) on then i'll let it cool a little, then burn the **** out of whatever caked on, and use salt+paper towel to scrub. P.s. fold the paper towel a million times because the pan is super hot @noobs.

@dan what's happening that the seasoning is getting pulled? are you scraping it off? is it getting washed off? It could be you did not burn off the initial layer of "seasoning" or protection (beeswax in the case of debuyer) that can be causing this. Ive stopped with the whole pre-seasoning or forming the seasoning by force and for the most part i'll oil after the meat has been cooking for some time to help pry it up or get a more "full" sear. But the game for me is all about getting the right temp on the pan for the meat and it's thickness so it comes up easy on it's own.

oh forgot to mention @chinacats, I got the same exact pan, though i need to do some forearm exercises that beast is heavy. But amazing!

I use a 20cm pan for omelettes (about 8"). Paderno Nature. It's a non stick, older version. I'll soon purchase the granite version as a back up. For this size pan I wouldn't use more than 3 large eggs.

I know you purchased a pan already, but just for reference..

Next I would like to add a carbon and stainless pan to my kitchen.

Dan-

I never had a lot of luck using cast iron for omelettes. The bumpy texture didn't work well for me even after a lot of seasoning. It worked on a hit or miss schedule. I switched to carbon steel pans for most things including omelettes and they work great.

Dan-

I never had a lot of luck using cast iron for omelettes. The bumpy texture didn't work well for me even after a lot of seasoning. It worked on a hit or miss schedule. I switched to carbon steel pans for most things including omelettes and they work great.

Do you have a link for one? The reason I'm really focused on trying to make the cast-iron work is I seem to weigh ~8lbs less when I cook (the same food!) in it vs teflon/aluminum or even stainless. No earthly idea why that's the case, but I'll take it!

i can only consume 2 eggs per week and I love using cast iron for the nice aroma and flavor it gives but is too heavy and the "wall" or sides is simply too steep for any flipping action. Ultimately I found Komin ductile cast iron which is less than half the weight, a more gradient sides for flipping action . I cant tell the difference in the outcome . Being cast iron products, the handles are short wch makes it pop-able in the oven. My next preferred cookware is a iron frying pan with a wooden handle which has been hardened....

[video=youtube;Rk1JyRYolys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1JyRYolys[/video]

http://www.kitchenplanning.jp/en/komin.php
Have fun.. rgds D

Ductile cast iron eh? Sounds interesting. I think it's actually carbon steel that is cast into pans rather than machined. It probably works about the same as regular carbon steel pans.

I bought the debuyer after going through this thread and started the flax oil oven seasoning method. Got about four rounds in. Only thing I wish I knew was the the handle has a coating which melted into a gooey mess. FYI for anyone throwing it in the oven.

I did the flax oil and oven for my initial seasoning to get both the inside and outside… no such problem on my DeBuyer mineral B, although I also washed the handle to remove the wax which is also on the pan itself.

I've see two types… one is sort of a clear coating and the other is more of a silvery/metal colored coating… I have the latter of the two

I bought the debuyer after going through this thread and started the flax oil oven seasoning method. Got about four rounds in. Only thing I wish I knew was the the handle has a coating which melted into a gooey mess. FYI for anyone throwing it in the oven.

From De Buyer's FAQ:

Are iron cooking utensils suitable for traditional ovens?
All cooking utensils from our iron ranges can be used in traditional ovens. Nevertheless, pans equipped with an iron handle coated with epoxy can only flash in the oven (10 minutes at 200°C maximum) as an extended exposure to heat or to a higher temperature might damage the epoxy coating.
For any longer cooking in an oven, we recommend you to use cookware with stainless steel or aluminium handles.

Was going to use the oven for my Mineral B too until I read that.

I've had mine in the oven for an hour at 450°F or higher while seasoning and no problems, although I think the epoxy coating may be the clear one whereas mine has the opaque silver/metal one; seems like a paint, and I believe it replaced the clear one as I don't see as many clear ones when shopping/browsing at kitchenware stores. Also have seen some handles that say "DeBuyer made in France" and "DeBuyer since 1830" or something like that

From De Buyer's FAQ:

Are iron cooking utensils suitable for traditional ovens?
All cooking utensils from our iron ranges can be used in traditional ovens. Nevertheless, pans equipped with an iron handle coated with epoxy can only flash in the oven (10 minutes at 200°C maximum) as an extended exposure to heat or to a higher temperature might damage the epoxy coating.
For any longer cooking in an oven, we recommend you to use cookware with stainless steel or aluminium handles.

Was going to use the oven for my Mineral B too until I read that.

oh o. i bet i've gone higher. at least a tiny bit higher at 400F. longer for sure. i roasted a chicken in mine. haha..my handle hates it, but looks okay. mine is silver in color, like TJ's

i shouldnt even be talking about my pan in this thread. it isnt any where near the point i can flip and omlette in it.

I found Komin ductile cast iron which is less than half the weight, a more gradient sides for flipping action . I cant tell the difference in the outcome . Being cast iron products, the handles are short wch makes it pop-able in the oven. My next preferred cookware is a iron frying pan with a wooden handle which has been hardened....

http://www.kitchenplanning.jp/en/komin.php
Have fun.. rgds D

If you don't feel like buying these from this website, you might be able to find one at William Sonoma. I've seen this brand at my local WS a few times. I was also interested in buying this brand. Aesthetically these pots and pans are very appealing, but at the time they were priced a bit too high to other cast iron/carbon steel alternatives. However, they might have discontinued carrying these so you could potentially find a deal.

I've always liked the look of them but 80 buck, there were clearly huffing the seasoning

yeah, I did not read the FAQ, in the oven @550F and that handle just went to ****. It's fine though because I plan to get a cover for it.

And all of mine look like the top.

I've had one of them in the oven at 230c for twenty minutes once and there was no issue.

I have the bottom one but I haven't used it in an oven yet.

All of mine are like the bottom, did the initial seasoning inside & out with flaxseed oil in the oven at >450°F without issues. On my giant 36cm one the coating was chipped where the handle bends but I just put some oil over it and no issues so far

All of mine are like the bottom, did the initial seasoning inside & out with flaxseed oil in the oven at >450°F without issues. On my giant 36cm one the coating was chipped where the handle bends but I just put some oil over it and no issues so far

How many times did you do the process? I did it six times. Cooked my first egg and it stuck like crazy and ate through the seasoning. Not sure what I did wrong

How many times did you do the process? I did it six times. Cooked my first egg and it stuck like crazy and ate through the seasoning. Not sure what I did wrong

Was the pan hot before you poured in the eggs? I have a small Turk pan that we got rather recently. I used it only maybe 10 times - mostly for eggs. Once I poured the eggs in when the pan was not hot enough and they stuck completely. The next time I let the pan get hot first the the eggs were just sliding around.

I did between 1-3 with flax, then also did the potato peel & oil method for some, it's been awhile so I don't remember exactly. I wanted to do the flax first so I could also get the outside of the pan.

Here's a pic that's over two years old I held onto for fun:
IMG_0802.jpg

this is the 12cm DeBuyer Mineral B blinis pan with a fried egg, it just slid right out and was the first thing I cooked after seasoning. I've found subsequently that for eggs having the pan too hot can cause sticking problems too, at least for me anyways.

Latest posts

Back