The wall

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tethien

Reaction score
Most of all my current knives
IMG_3426.jpeg

IMG_3427.jpeg

Very nice! What are the nakiris #3 and #4 from the left?
Thanks for sharing
#3 is kyohei Shindo and #4 is Hinoura
Both are amazing, the Shindo is my preferred shape but the Hinoura has the weight I like in a nakiri. I use the Hinoura more due to the weight and the cutting feel, idk if it cuts any better than the Shindo but the cutting experience is my favorite

Nice bit of Hatsukokoro appreciation going on!

What’s the knife with the Ho wa between the Maz and Komorebi?

Beautiful collection. Curious where you got what appears to be a blue custom handle for the petty knife in the first image?
It’s a semi custom that came stock when it bought it, it was from homebutcher, they might have some knives with it left but it’s been a while since I’ve last seen one. I do have some left over that I don’t use

would be curious what Nakiris 1,2,5 and 6 are:) is 2 a Y. Tanaka and 6 Mazaki?
Me not knowing too much about Nakiris, I would say they all have quite the similar shape :)
Any Masashi's in there? thinking about getting one :)

I'm not usually a big fan of K-tip profiles, but that big Tetsujin has me lurking around your BST posts more than I'd like to admit. Nice collection.
I love myself ktips, got a 250 120 layer twisted dama coming soon
And yea the 300mm ktip was so amazing I just had to have it and I had a couple myojins before and I loved all of them but it’s hard to justify having a 500$ show piece since I don’t have too many opportunities to use it

would be curious what Nakiris 1,2,5 and 6 are:) is 2 a Y. Tanaka and 6 Mazaki?
Me not knowing too much about Nakiris, I would say they all have quite the similar shape :)
Any Masashi's in there? thinking about getting one :)
1 is masashi, I quite love it for the kinda unique grind where it’s flat near the heel and a little sgrind near the tip
2 is Hado the laser est laser to ever laser
5 is Munetoshi, I’ve thinned and polished it and I love it I did a sweet potato test and the Hado was S+ but the Munetoshi was A+ but I never have to worry about it chipping on me. For example my shibata was like a B+
Tanuki from jns, also quite good but idk if it’s worth using over my others, I might thin it and turn it into a mega laser

Okay, what is the first knife in the first pic, on the far left?

And what is that Hakata, 4th from the right on the bottom?
The ktip is an iricil, a maker I found from Reddit, due to a miscommunication it didn’t come out the way I wanted to I thinned it and put a mirror finish on it, really easy to with it being mono steel.
The hataka is a yoshikane, I love the shape so much but I wish it was slightly taller, also I thinned it but haven’t gotten around to refinishing it, top 3 cutters I have and it only took like 5 mins on a 500 grit stone

The ktip is an iricil, a maker I found from Reddit, due to a miscommunication it didn’t come out the way I wanted to I thinned it and put a mirror finish on it, really easy to with it being mono steel.
The hataka is a yoshikane, I love the shape so much but I wish it was slightly taller, also I thinned it but haven’t gotten around to refinishing it, top 3 cutters I have and it only took like 5 mins on a 500 grit stone
I have a Miyaki Kajiya Hakata that I quite like. It needs some thinning but I liked the shape and heat treat. Nao Yamamoto's Hakata is on the way right now. Iron damascus clad Aogami Super 170mm Hakata for $140. I hope it cuts as good as it sounds. It certainly has potential but his work isn't around much.

I'm slowing getting more into JKnives but I get sucked in to Westerns. About the only one you had on your rack and I about ignore all the bangers on there lol. It looks good though and I figured it was a good cutter if it was up there.

I have a Miyaki Kajiya Hakata that I quite like. It needs some thinning but I liked the shape and heat treat. Nao Yamamoto's Hakata is on the way right now. Iron damascus clad Aogami Super 170mm Hakata for $140. I hope it cuts as good as it sounds. It certainly has potential but his work isn't around much.

I'm slowing getting more into JKnives but I get sucked in to Westerns. About the only one you had on your rack and I about ignore all the bangers on there lol. It looks good though and I figured it was a good cutter if it was up there.
When I mean the shape I mean the edge profile more like, mostly flat until there is a lot of curve when it gets near the tip. I think I’ve seen the Nao yammato one, I didn’t get it because I think I saw there was some wide shoulders on it plus a bit too low of a bevel for me but it looked nice.

Yeah, those shoulders are gonna get thinned, I agree. The yoshikane and the Mutsumi seem to be lacking those shoulders. I'll post when it arrives. I think it'll be a good start for a great knife.

I LOVE my Masashi's. I have an SLD Bunka and Petty and I just got the VS1 Gyuto. That bunka is just so great at everything. I'm am tempted to try some of his White 2 as I don't see much of his in carbon steel.
I forgot mine was w2 not sld, I did get to try his b1 but I didn’t really like it, the grind was pretty mediocre and it was a 165 so I didn’t keep it and I wasn’t into thinning knives back then. Cleancut has/had a good selection of carbon versions

I LOVE my Masashi's. I have an SLD Bunka and Petty and I just got the VS1 Gyuto. That bunka is just so great at everything. I'm am tempted to try some of his White 2 as I don't see much of his in carbon steel.
His shirogami is nice. I had the cleancut 240 and it had a sizable flat spot, quite thin BTE, and thick spine/ aggressive distal taper. It was almost a perfect knife, I only let it go since the tip was too high for me

His shirogami is nice. I had the cleancut 240 and it had a sizable flat spot, quite thin BTE, and thick spine/ aggressive distal taper. It was almost a perfect knife, I only let it go since the tip was too high for me
My 240 Gyuto in VS1, the Kaijin series, has a pretty similar profile. I can handle the tip lol. It's a big knife overall, looks bigger than it is, but it handles well and cuts as well as I expected it to. Apparently he can get that VS1 really hard w/o sacrificing brittleness. I hit the tip and and it just bent and I bent it back. So we shall see. The Bunka is one of my "bar" knives that I compare new knives to. It has a thick spine but tapers so nicely with a great tip. I've been pretty impressed with his grinds.

Back