The Washita Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was 50/50 on this Fleebay punt, from the picks was pretty sure it was going to be another Sic or India, but was little intrigued by the CGW initials on the box.
Looks like i've got a bit of label removal and soaking to attend to.
View attachment 275792View attachment 275793
Do Rosy Reds have any special characteristics to them, how do they normaly rate quality wise to a Lily White or a No.1?

WOOOOO! Now that is a serious find, was it Aus Ebay?

You’re in for a treat - they actually manage to justify the stellar reputation. :)

WOOOOO! Now that is a serious find, was it Aus Ebay?

You’re in for a treat - they actually manage to justify the stellar reputation. :)
Yes mate - Aus Ebay, same seller that I picked up the Lily White from.

Had a little play with the Rosy and it is a truly awesome stone, creates that unique Washita edge that is shaving sharp, but with just the right amount of toothy bite. My initial feeling is that it creates a very similar edge as all the other Washita's that I use, however is noticeably quicker.
This one is going to get a lot of use after it comes out of the Simple Green soak.

Couple of pics of the collection.

WasRR.jpg
Looking forward to seeing how this RR looks after a long soak in degreaser.

was1.jpg

From Top to bottom - RR 8x2, Very old 9 x 1.5 ( this one was soaked for weeks and is still very dark ), Broken Combo 6x2, LW 9x2, LW 8x2.

was3.jpg

Yes mate - Aus Ebay, same seller that I picked up the Lily White from.

Had a little play with the Rosy and it is a truly awesome stone, creates that unique Washita edge that is shaving sharp, but with just the right amount of toothy bite. My initial feeling is that it creates a very similar edge as all the other Washita's that I use, however is noticeably quicker.
This one is going to get a lot of use after it comes out of the Simple Green soak.

Couple of pics of the collection.

View attachment 277300Looking forward to seeing how this RR looks after a long soak in degreaser.

View attachment 277301
From Top to bottom - RR 8x2, Very old 9 x 1.5 ( this one was soaked for weeks and is still very dark ), Broken Combo 6x2, LW 9x2, LW 8x2.

View attachment 277302
I've got one like the squarer one, second from the left. I believe the ones cut to those dimensions were old Pike LWW.

I was messing around with this one (again) last night: The Washita Thread

Something finally "clicked" in my mind with both the stone and it's box that was just really enjoyable; I try to have all the pictures in place before I start these kinds of things out, but unfortunately for this one I don't. I'll grab the few pics that I want to have to finish the post tonight (hopefully)...

I did get the pictures last night, so let's run through this. I snagged this one off of yabe, it ended up going higher than what my normal range for these is, but not by a ton, and there was just something about it. I wasn't terribly impressed by it when it arrived, and there were some slight feelings of regret that I was somewhat ambivalent about it when I could have had 2 or 3 chances at a grimy oil caked stone instead of this one. It was dished pretty heavily one on side, and it needed to be lapped on the other, so I did all of that and rounded the edges in that earlier post I linked yesterday. Now I could feel a big difference in use: it was insanely fast off the lapping, and it was still able to finish about as finely as my skills could manage. I kept it up in the kitchen and pulled it out when I'd realize whatever stone I was using on a knife wasn't fast enough for what I was trying to do. So I used it, and used it, and used it, each time picking up something else about what it was able to do (and not do).

Now my skills are improved to the point where I can pretty quickly feel how fast/fine a novaculite is, not only am I no longer ambivalent about this stone, I don't think I'm ever going to not be using it in some capacity.

Some quick details:
It's not homogeneous like pretty much all the Pike-Norton stones that I have come across are, one side has a good amount of translucency and the other has close to none.
PXL_20231031_013020998.jpg

PXL_20231031_013430414.jpg

PXL_20231031_013008082.jpg

PXL_20231031_013523637.jpg

I was under the impression that the translucent side would be finer and the more LW/#1 looking side would be faster, and so that's how I used it for a decent amount of time. That's the opposite of what's true however, and it became very apparent once the lapping had smoothed out on the opaque side. So the translucent side is ridiculously fast, and the opaque side is on the finer end of the washita spectrum, closer to a LW in use.

That last piece is the box that someone made for it, you can see the interior from the photos above, and here's how it looks with the top on:
PXL_20231031_012955361.jpg

It's got a leather strop glued to the top. It's the part that kept me interested enough to pay above what's normal to get it, why would someone go through all the trouble to make a box and glue a strop to it if it was a stone you could just order from the P-N catalog? With all three components together it's the 100% novaculite version of the India/Washita combi, with a built in strop for refinement and quick touch ups.

I'm incredibly happy someone 100+ years ago found this stone, knew what it was and what it could do, and that they took the time to make something special for it. I'm also incredibly happy that I took the time to let this stone show me what it's capable of, and to understand (at least a little) the thinking of someone from long in the past that loved using and maintaining fine edged tools.

(yes, I plan to attempt cleaning the original strop up, but I'm resigned to it not being able to be usable. I'll replace it with a new strop material if that's what comes to pass.

Those are some great notes and mirror my experience in many ways. The translucent, flaky, porous washita are my favorites for speed.

I did a similar test last week with 8 or so washita. The only opaque washita with any sex appeal were the labeled lily whites. One opaque stone the color of cement is basically a paper weight, perhaps a deburring stone at very best.

I should make a video…

After a long soak in simple green, put the Rosy Red to task in quick shoot out with the two Lily Whites, one labeled Hard/Fine and the other unknown.
Using a blade in White (shirogami) #1, I just worked 1 side behind the edge ( thinning ) for about 50 back and forward passes to see how much swarth would be produced and the degree of polish produced on the blade. This would give me some idea as to the cutting speed and edge refinement that can be achieved.
First of the bat was the RR, it was very quick, produced plenty of swarf and produced a semi frosted look.
RRThin.jpg
Next came the Norton LW labeled on the end Hard/Fine. This stone was considerably slower than the RR, and a lot finer grit. The steel responded by putting on a semi shine which really highlighted the scratches.
LWHardThin.jpg

Last on the list was a lovely older Pike labeled LW that measured 9" x 2". This one is so much quicker and softer than the other LW and was probably my favorite of the 3 for feel. Produced a very nice even matt finish.
LWSoftThin.jpg

I suppose this is the lovely thing about natural stones, the variation can be quite significant.
All three stones will put an awesome edge on a kitchen knife, The RR and LW Soft feel in the 1000-2000 range, the Fine Hard probably 2000-3000, but this is just a guess comparing them to my Shaptons. Below Pic is the RR and LW Soft.
RRandLWSoft.jpg

It's not homogeneous like pretty much all the Pike-Norton stones that I have come across are, one side has a good amount of translucency and the other has close to none.

This can certainly happen with Washitas, and so could well be the case with yours, however...

From the pics I suspect that the translucency might come from oil penetration over the years. If a Washita sits in a box, and only gets used on one side, then you get a very two-tone effect after some time, with the oiled side becoming much more translucent than the unused side.

That's just a guess though. There are also examples of Washitas cut across two layers, and that'd look fairly similar probably.

Had a nice find while visiting family who live near Chagrin Falls OH. I recalled there was an old stone company called Deerlick operating there, thought I might get lucky in an antique store.

The Deerlick stones themselves seem like an uninteresting, slow sandstone similar to Bear Creek or Queer Creek stones.

IMG_5686.jpeg

But they also carried branded Arks of seemingly high quality.

IMG_5685.jpeg

So I poked around, and found an old timer selling one his father used. Original label was gone, but his father's note called it a Chagrin stone.

IMG_5681.jpeg

Worth $30 if only to have a piece of local history near my uncles place.

But when I got it in better light and looked more carefully I got excited little by little. Looks mottled like a Washita.

IMG_5682.jpeg

Looking on the end. Hello. Maybe a label under there?

IMG_5683.jpeg

Cleaning it off... Oh my.

IMG_5684.jpeg

As best I know, only Lily Whites had this Hard/Soft end label. Does anyone know if that's the case for certain? Anyway, I expect it'll be a fairly quick stone. Excited to get it clean.

Last edited:
Had a nice find while visiting family who live near Chagrin Falls OH. I recalled there was an old stone company called Deerlick operating there, thought I might get lucky in an antique store.

The Deerlick stones themselves seem like an uninteresting, slow sandstone similar to Bear Creek or Queer Creek stones.

View attachment 285279

View attachment 285281

So I poked around, and found an old timer selling one his father used. Original label was gone, but his father's note called it a Chagrin stone.

View attachment 285282

But when I got it in better light and looked more carefully I got excited little by little. Looks mottled like a Washita.

View attachment 285283

View attachment 285284

View attachment 285285

As best I know, only Lily Whites had this Hard/Soft end label. Does anyone know if that's the case for certain? Anyway, I expect it'll be a fairly quick stone. Excited to get it clean.
Nice bunch of stones there.
I have never seen that "soft" label before. The Lilly Whites are usually "soft fast", "soft coarse", "soft medium" or something like that.

View attachment 285279

View attachment 285281

View attachment 285282

View attachment 285283

View attachment 285284

View attachment 285285

@cotedupy posted a pic of one the same, post #148

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-washita-thread.53968/page-5

I just want to report about two kinds of Washitas which are not seen that often...The first of them is one which I already mentioned earlier (here: The Washita Thread) and promised to write about it in more detail...It was a stone with a completely red label which I bought in the hope it might be a Rosy Red (it also looked pretty porous on the photos)...But it wasn't, as I realized rather soon, but it took a while until I found out which kind of Washita it in fact is - its a Tomahawk brand Washita, like this one which is already for a long time for sale on Ebay (Natural Washita sharpening water oil razor hone stone with label | eBay)

I couldn't recognize anything from the label, with the exception of a very faded, obliquely oriented word "WASHITA", exactly like on the Ebay stone...So I am sure that it is this kind of stone, but, unfortunately, have no further information about these stones...Anyway, after a thorough degreasing (for which I, btw, use this thing which is super cheap, works very well and smells nicely: dm-drogerie markt - dauerhaft günstig online kaufen), it turned out to be a pretty clean, very whitish (almost LW-like) stone which just had some minor flaws on its margins that didn't affect performance at all...It had a pretty low SG (about 2,13) and was very fast, definitely significantly faster than my Lily White (labeled as SOFT, FAST CUTTING GRIT), but didn't have such a wide grit range as the LW, so I sold it finally...But it was definitely a pretty sweet stone!

IMG_20230605_213336.jpg
IMG_20230608_174321.jpg
IMG_20230608_174330.jpg
IMG_20230608_174340.jpg
IMG_20230608_174353.jpg
IMG_20230608_174401.jpg
IMG_20230608_174405.jpg
IMG_20230608_175934.jpg

And the other stone was something even more rare, Pike's Woodworkers Delight, 6x2 inches large, this time bought on US Ebay, it went pretty high, but as there is that "Grade L.W. & R.R." writing on the label of those WWD stones, it was clear that is going to be a high quality and probably very fast stone...And I was just deeply in my "Washita-hype" period and on the hunt after a Rosy Red, so I didn't care that much how expensive it is going to be:)..

As this kind of stones is glued to the bottom of the box, I was afraid that I will need to demount the box completely to be able to remove the stone safely without damaging the box and the label (which are half of the value:)), but fortunately it wasn't necessary finally...And as I quickly found out, after starting to shape it with Atoma, it indeed seemed to be a very promising stone - it feeled quite soft and the slurry it formed was pretty creamy, fully comparable to that which I could remember of Oli's Rosy Red...So I thought it might be a RR, but already a couple of minutes in th degreaser revelaed it is not - and I got instead a super clean, snow-like coloured beauty! And degreasing went pretty fast, first because the stone is pretty porous (so much that I could even see some kind of bubbles bubbles coming out, and second because I was lucky and although it looked to be very dirty (so, potentially loaded with oil) at seller's pictures, the dirt was only on the surface and there was only a little oil in the stone itself...

And as regards SG - it was fully comparable to the Rosy Red's which are said to be somewhere around 2,05-2,10, I measured it to be 2,09...And it is even a bit faster than the Tomahawk-branded stone, although they are pretty comparable, performance-wise, and if I hadn't this one (which is the rarer one of both), I wouldn't sell the Tomahawk-branded one...

So, if you see one (there is currently one for sale on UK Ebay, although smaller and not that nice as mine), you can be pretty sure that you will get a high quality and most likely also a very fast stone with a low SG - maybe not a RR, but probably a RR-like performing stone...

IMG_20230807_191352.jpg
IMG_20230807_191410.jpg
IMG_20230807_191441.jpg
IMG_20230807_191458.jpg
IMG_20230807_191520.jpg
IMG_20230807_191833.jpg
IMG_20230807_191912.jpg
IMG_20230807_192041.jpg
IMG_20230807_192126.jpg
IMG_20230808_081217.jpg

Oh nice write ups!
For anyone else on the hunt, a Woodworkers Delight is live on the bay right now, not a crazy price, esp for UK buyers.

This one has a brindled semi-opaque semi-translucent thing going that's present on my favorite unlabelled washita. It's a fast, consistent cutter that leaves either a toothy or fine edge depending how you work it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1861706237...WzSSic3E9CA9OpNxUQtz0ntg==|tkp:Bk9SR-Ki_r-FYw

That one says "soft fast cutting grit". I have been trying to figure out how many classifications there were, I suspect they changed over time.
Perhaps at one time they were just labeled as "soft", "medium" and "hard"?

Not my stone just stuff I have sniped from the net. Sometimes they are rated by speed and other times by grit.

If you have a look back through the B&B Washita thread, somewhere toward the beginning I think Ian (SliceOfLife) listed all the ones he'd seen.

IMG_20230823_173534.jpg
IMG_20230823_173544.jpg
IMG_20230823_173903.jpg
IMG_20230823_174206.jpg

Here is a couple of group photos of the Washitas I have tried, from top to bottom in the first picture: 1) Lily White from Ebay, got it luckily with end label (which the seller forget to photograph for some reason), saying its Soft, fast cutting grit - Oli already wrote a report about it earlier in this thread, its one of the very best natural stones for edge sharpening I have ever tried, I really, really love it! 2) The Tomahawk brand stone 3) A very hard and dense stone I bought more or less incidentaly on Ebay along with some coticules which were my main target that time, it was actually the stone which turned my attention towards Washitas...It took ages until I got it completely flat with my old, worn atoma, but it was really sweet, with a wide range and provided lovely edges, I sold to a good friend of mine who liked it similarly as I did, its the second best edge finisher after the LW mentioned above 4) an Ebay stone which has been selected by the seller as the fastest of a batch he had for sale, but it was actually pretty slow, at least compared to any other Washita on this picture, it was simply nothing special and I sold it 5) the WWD

But guys, please, tell me one thing! We all know that Washitas are generally known as oilstones, but can also by used with water, although most people prefer to use them with oil...But can somebody explain me why? Or better, I would like to hear the opinions of the particular people why they are using them with oil rather than with water...

Of course, I know that the surface can be burnished pretty easily and quickly, especially in the harder and finer specimens, so that the stone would then stop cutting and become super slow...or do almost nothing...And oil should help to keep the stone cutting...

I am also aware that oil should prevent the stone surface from clogging with the swarf particles which might again decrease its speed and efficiency...So, what I am typically doing is raising a little bit of slurry using my worn Atoma 600...I know that I have tried only a little fraction of Washitas as compared to some experienced guys like @cotedupy , @Desert Rat , @stringer , @Legion74 and others, barely those 5 pieces above, but IMO, it was a relatively representative selection for what Washitas can offer, ranging from very soft and fast stones with a low SG up to very hard and fine stones...

And I can only say that every single stone had a totally lovely feedback when used with that little of generated slurry...Even the lower quality ones which had somewhat inconsistent grit and feeled rather unpleasant when used with oil...And of course, every single stone I have tried this way worked definitely faster than it worked with oil...One may argue - but this way you will wear down the stone quickly! Yeah, that would certainly be true with something like some softer coticule where one would just burn money this way...But is that really an issue with something THAT hard and rather cheap like Washitas? Especially when the amount of material which gets lost is really minimal, using for instance that worn Atoma 600 (and actually, when working with such fast and softer stones like the WWD, creating of slurry is not necessary at all, its fully sufficient to just refresh the surface lightly)? I don't think so, to be honest...And raising that little amount of slurry solves also that eventual clogging problem (which, all the more, is maybe not that serious, when I once compared the WWD stone when used with water and then with oil, there was optically a much more significant clogging when used with the latter) as you always get some fresh grit which ensures that the stone will cut quickly...

And one can always use the stone with just water to finish the work and refine the edges...I typically do this for instance with my beloved LW and get really excellent edges this way...And of course, the water management is also easier with water, using a sprinkler with water, at least for me...And you don't get that bloody slippery surface with water as if you use the stone with oil...

Simply - I don't see there any significant arguments against using Washitas with just water (of course, with a little of generated slurry), but, on the other hand, I see there some advantages! But would really appreciate everybody's input to this topic, as I mentioned, I am far from being an experienced Washita user...

And last but not least, I would like to thank publicly @cotedupy and @ethompson for their kindness and help with obtaining some of the above mentioned stones and even saving me money for custom duties - the WWD seller didn't ship outside US at all, but Edward kindly offered to forward the stone to me, the same applies for Oli who even forwarded me two stones and, moreover, shared with me a lot of his knowledge about Washitas!

Hey this may sound weird but can you tell me the length and width of the box please? I think you just identified an unmarked one for me.
It doesn't sound weird at all, for instance after I bought the Tomahawk-brand stone and realized its possibly not a Rosy Red, I tried to decipher the exact dimensions of the label from the photos and compared it to the dimensions of the RR labels which were comparatively somewhat longer and generally thinner:)...

Anyway, its about 17 x 6.7 cm, the depth is about 4.2 cm, I hope it helps!

Hey this may sound weird but can you tell me the length and width of the box please? I think you just identified an unmarked one for me.
It doesn't sound weird at all, for instance after I bought the Tomahawk-brand stone and realized its possibly not a Rosy Red, I tried to decipher the exact dimensions of the label from the photos and compared it to the dimensions of the RR labels which were comparatively somewhat longer and generally thinner:)...

Anyway, its about 17 x 6.7 cm, the depth is about 4.2 cm, I hope it helps!

It is an interesting box isn't it! As it's quite different from what I'd consider a 'normal' Pike box; it doesn't have the traditional P-N jointing, and you can see from the ends that the construction is completely different.

The pics below are a labelled RR and an unlabelled 'butterscotch' translucent, but because of the box I can tell you with 100% certainty that the trans is a Pike stone too. Very interesting to see your WWD showing that this wasn't the only style they used.

IMG-9017.jpg

43B609AC-A7E0-4427-9F20-8EB7CB5C3267.jpeg

IMG-9013.jpg

Last edited:
Those "Butterscotch" stones sure are purdy.

They're nice eh! The jury is still out on where the colour comes from, with some people thinking it's discolouration through use. Though I'm not sure I buy that tbh, my hunch is that this stone is that colour all the way through and has always been like that. I've never heard of someone managing to degrease one to pure white for instance, and there are plenty of very old and well used trans arks out there with no discolouration whatsoever.

Not that they act any differently. It's basically exactly the same as a good quality translucent, but prettier.

But guys, please, tell me one thing! We all know that Washitas are generally known as oilstones, but can also by used with water, although most people prefer to use them with oil...But can somebody explain me why? Or better, I would like to hear the opinions of the particular people why they are using them with oil rather than with water...

I'll have a a crack at this Jan...

You're absolutely correct in that Washitas can be used very happily with water and slurry. Atoma slurried novaculites are quite exceptionally fast; you can do the same to a Charnley, Idwal, or Translucent ark and see the same thing. None of those stones are 'too fine' for knives if you work off a slurry.

In fact you can use pretty much any oilstone with water and vice versa. The only thing I wouldn't necessarily recommend is using polishing stones with oil, but for edge sharpening stones - you can use either on anything. Lots of people in Japan apparently use oil on jnats. I've done quite a lot of tests of this on all sorts of different stones, and to make a generalisation: If you're not working with slurry then oil is usually faster. If you are working with slurry then it will be faster still, and water is better.

Why then might we want to use oil on a Wahsita...?

Well the way in which an unslurried Washita cuts isn't really like any other kind of stone. It leans massively toward cutting on its porosity and structure, and because of that - the range that they have is exposed by pressure. By slurrying a Washita you'll clog the pore structure, but the slurry itself will mimic the effect of the low end, and if you clean it off halfway through then you can get the high end too.

Though as I said above you could use pretty much any novaculite in this way. It'll wear through the stone a bit faster, and you'll knock sharp edges off a diamond plate very quickly. But they're not desperately expensive stones and you can use a worn old atoma to slurry, so there's no real reason not to do it like that, if that's what you prefer.

But I would also say that I think I can get a wider range from a Washita (both high and low) by using oil and changing pressure, rather than using water and changing slurry.

Last edited:
Just a FYI here because I haven’t seen it mentioned, but back in the 70s and 80s, they used to use automatic transmission fluid as a honing oil - some commercial brands (maybe Smith’s?) were just repackaged ATF. It’s red of course, so over time a white or grey stone became pinkish. I think this is the most likely explanation for all those hopeful rosy reds turning white after a good cleaning.

Just a FYI here because I haven’t seen it mentioned, but back in the 70s and 80s, they used to use automatic transmission fluid as a honing oil - some commercial brands (maybe Smith’s?) were just repackaged ATF. It’s red of course, so over time a white or grey stone became pinkish. I think this is the most likely explanation for all those hopeful rosy reds turning white after a good cleaning.

Ah yes, the old rosy red transmission fluid washita
We have seen several of those in this thread.

And the other stone was something even more rare, Pike's Woodworkers Delight, 6x2 inches large, this time bought on US Ebay, it went pretty high, but as there is that "Grade L.W. & R.R." writing on the label of those WWD stones, it was clear that is going to be a high quality and probably very fast stone...And I was just deeply in my "Washita-hype" period and on the hunt after a Rosy Red, so I didn't care that much how expensive it is going to be:)..

As this kind of stones is glued to the bottom of the box, I was afraid that I will need to demount the box completely to be able to remove the stone safely without damaging the box and the label (which are half of the value:)), but fortunately it wasn't necessary finally...And as I quickly found out, after starting to shape it with Atoma, it indeed seemed to be a very promising stone - it feeled quite soft and the slurry it formed was pretty creamy, fully comparable to that which I could remember of Oli's Rosy Red...So I thought it might be a RR, but already a couple of minutes in th degreaser revelaed it is not - and I got instead a super clean, snow-like coloured beauty! And degreasing went pretty fast, first because the stone is pretty porous (so much that I could even see some kind of bubbles bubbles coming out, and second because I was lucky and although it looked to be very dirty (so, potentially loaded with oil) at seller's pictures, the dirt was only on the surface and there was only a little oil in the stone itself...

And as regards SG - it was fully comparable to the Rosy Red's which are said to be somewhere around 2,05-2,10, I measured it to be 2,09...And it is even a bit faster than the Tomahawk-branded stone, although they are pretty comparable, performance-wise, and if I hadn't this one (which is the rarer one of both), I wouldn't sell the Tomahawk-branded one...

So, if you see one (there is currently one for sale on UK Ebay, although smaller and not that nice as mine), you can be pretty sure that you will get a high quality and most likely also a very fast stone with a low SG - maybe not a RR, but probably a RR-like performing stone...

View attachment 285583View attachment 285584View attachment 285585View attachment 285586View attachment 285587View attachment 285588View attachment 285589View attachment 285591View attachment 285592View attachment 285593

I found the box. I think it's a match.

PXL_20231203_194403810.MP.jpg

PXL_20231203_194415986.jpg

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-washita-thread.53968/post-1038072

Here it is mended

PXL_20231203_194430459.jpg

PXL_20231203_194454413.jpg

And here she is with some of her sisters

PXL_20231203_202225891.jpg

Back