Things you do while cooking and aren't sure why.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I have noticed from watching myself on YouTube. I will wiggle my knife at a pile of veggies before cutting them. It is completely subconscious.

rafael-nadal-serve.gif

messier the station, efficiency goes down the drain thus quicker to clean/organize as you go rather than flying through as fast as you can. can't stand clutter, don't even like seasoning containers near plate while plating.
I got an assistant to help with Easter today, great guy but oh my He Is Risen oh high, that man is a Tasmanian DISASTER. At a certain point the clutter and the mess outweighs the second pair of hands.

I got an assistant to help with Easter today, great guy but oh my He Is Risen oh high, that man is a Tasmanian DISASTER. At a certain point the clutter and the mess outweighs the second pair of hands.
there is always at least one veteran cook in every kitchen who is a walking tornado but somehow still gets sh1t done. drives me insane lol

Rituals such as this actually serve a purpose and can help improve performance. Look up "pre-serve rituals purpose" on Google.

It drives me nuts watching other people do this, especially when their futzing around means that everyone else has to wait through the extra wasted time…

100%

Last week, A coworker got food poisoning just as service started, so i had to pull the owner to expo, and take over his station. Oh the joy of wholly re-arranging a station before sh+t starts hitting fans.

It’s that age old tale: too much stuff in not enough space, with a cook who could be neater/cleaner/more organized.

Last edited:
Mine is probably scraping every single grain of rice out of the cooking pan, no matter how sticky it is - every grain must reach its destiny, none shall be left behind. Perhaps arose from when I lived in the rural Philippines for a few years, where folk didn't have much of anything to start with.

Another is giving reiki to a cheese sauce - I swear it stops it from splitting. 🙌

Mine is probably scraping every single grain of rice out of the cooking pan, no matter how sticky it is - every grain must reach its destiny, none shall be left behind. Perhaps arose from when I lived in the rural Philippines for a few years, where folk didn't have much of anything to start with.

Another is giving reiki to a cheese sauce - I swear it stops it from splitting. 🙌

Every grain is sacred

Back