Things you do while cooking and aren't sure why.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious about any cooking habits that you may have picked up along the way but may be the kind of thing you're not sure why you actually do it.

One of mine that the wife and I were talking about last night is that I always add a touch of butter to the water when I'm cooking rice. No idea where I learned it from, but plain rice of all types always gets it.

Any of yours?

great thread concept. internalised ideology, half truths and unmotivated behaviour should be exposed and discussed. personally: apart from always touching my crotch before the salt hog, i can't come up with anything at the moment, but i'll think of something soon.

56416c50-47df-11ec-bcdf-f9361a722d17.png

touching my crotch before the salt hog
This plus some phantasy made my monday morning. Eeeh Eeeh!

I am in busy mode whilst cooking, running around like a chicken, cleaning up, making space, preparing dishes/table, sometimes listening to music when on my own, sometimes sharpening, browsing alternative recipes for inspiration.
(Already found out the hard way that listening to music with in-ears can be a bad idea as you don´t hear things starting to heavily sizzle in the pan..)

somehow I see loads of trained chefs tapping the cuting board with their knive before cutting, it looks soo weird...

I find myself sprinkling some fine salt on nuts toasting in a pan, somehow I have convined (?) myslef it draws out water and helps crisp up the nuts but I never properly researched that.

Curious about any cooking habits that you may have picked up along the way but may be the kind of thing you're not sure why you actually do it.

One of mine that the wife and I were talking about last night is that I always add a touch of butter to the water when I'm cooking rice. No idea where I learned it from, but plain rice of all types always gets it.

Any of yours?
Yeps, adds a lovely aroma and a nice mouthfeel - I have worked with Indian and nepalese chefs who put it it when it was cooking, and some who put it in when to was resting.

somehow I see loads of trained chefs tapping the cuting board with their knive before cutting, it looks soo weird...
Haha I do this - no idea where I picked it up from, assuming it must have been from working in a kitchen at university.

Any of yours?
when rice soaks up water the melted butter coats the grains, especially after fluffing

I snap my fingers after putting things in the oven and after take stuff out again.
Never thought about it, until someone asked me a couple of months ago why I do it? I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ Now I can’t stop noticing it 😂

I find myself sprinkling some fine salt on nuts
Yeps, adds a lovely aroma and a nice mouthfeel

I spit out my coffee when reading these 2 comments, because I honestly read in the first comment, "I find myself sprinkling some fine salt on my nuts". Add the second comment to that, and I can't stop ROFLing... :LOL:

I tap the tip of the knife, on the flat side, on the cutting board occasionally. It makes a little ding noise. I guess I think I’m at a Japanese steakhouse.

Maybe more of a neurosis than a habit. I hate a messy kitchen! The kitchen must be spotless and organized when I start. I must clean constantly as I cook. When the meal is served, the kitchen must be as close to how it started as possible, except for the floor. Facing a wrecked kitchen after a meal diminishes the experience for me.

if someone else wants to cook, and they are known kitchen slobs, screw it. I’d rather order carry out.

I spit out my coffee when reading these 2 comments, because I honestly read in the first comment, "I find myself sprinkling some fine salt on my nuts". Add the second comment to that, and I can't stop ROFLing... :LOL:
I always read stuff like that, someone told me it's a sign of being a pervert ;-)

I'll try it and will report back ;)

Latest posts

Back