Thinning stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrod12345

Reaction score
Gday everybody.

I am wanting to do some thinning on a couple of knives, one requiring an extreme amount, and a Chosera 400 or Cerax 320 just won’t even touch it.

I have my eyes set on either a nano hone 200 or a DEBADO MD-20 200 grit.

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas, opinions or reviews on these stones?

Thanks!

Hey,
I used nano hone and I am using Debado ld 180 grit (normally identic as md-20, just not same format). Nano hone is very nice stone, but quite a expensive stone for price and size. My choice is Debado, it is working very nicely, quite fast, not too hard, not too soft. Be aware that there is some variations on the stones and you can get a little bit harder or softer stone than average. I got one that is hard as glass and some other that was quite soft on one end. I ask Suehiro and they just answer that they are very hard stone to bake.
I think you will enjoy both stones, but if you plan to grind a lot I would go Debado

There's a pink brick 220 that floats around. It's pretty quick to dish, and kills flattening plates, though it does cut quickly. I'm grumpy enough with mine I'm thinking of trying that debado.

Or a vitrified diamond. If you can find one.

There's a pink brick 220 that floats around. It's pretty quick to dish, and kills flattening plates, though it does cut quickly. I'm grumpy enough with mine I'm thinking of trying that debado.

Or a vitrified diamond. If you can find one.

I am a 220 Pink Brick User myself, the Gesshin model specifically.

Super thirsty, but I agree cuts very quickly. I have gotten pretty good at using the entire surface of the stone to avoid needing to flatten. Currently reworking a 240 Gesshin Ginga stainless that i got for a steal since the original user absolutely wrecked the knife.

I also use the pink brick. Saying that it's a thirsty stone feels like an understatement, water seems to fall through it and perma-soaking doesn't seem to help. I only really used it to thin out a 240 Moritaka and it definitely cuts. The scratches it left came out easy on a Morihei 500. It's alot of stone too so I don't feel so bad about flattening frequently witch is good because it needs it

I've never tried the SP-220, but the 120 is a tricky stone. I much prefer the Debado 180. It's almost as fast as my SP-120, has a much finer scratch pattern, and is much easier to work with.

I imagine that the perfect set up for those low grit pink stones like the gesshin would be a sink bridge over the sink with the faucet dripping directly on the stone.
I was initially looking at debado 200, didn’t realize there’s a 180grit on the market

I imagine that the perfect set up for those low grit pink stones like the gesshin would be a sink bridge over the sink with the faucet dripping directly on the stone.
I was initially looking at debado 200, didn’t realize there’s a 180grit on the market
I've heard of sealing the sides to keep the water in 🤷‍♂️

Thirstiness aside it certainly moves metal.

I’ve always wanted to play with one of those shinko/makita horizontal water grinders…

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone for the suggestions. What about the Debado180/200 vs the Shapton kuromaku 220?
I’ve gone through a couple Shapton Pro 220s and half of a pink brick doing thinning and repairs. Best value for your money is a pink brick considering how thick it is. Shapton Pro 220 is a little cheaper, cuts a bit faster, dishes a little slower and is splash and go so much less thirsty but it’s also a lot thinner. I’m considering a Debado 180/200 next. Almost twice the price of a pink brick and 2.5 times the price of a SP220, but it sounds like it should last longer and it gets a lot of good reviews.
Same stone content different size format
Is the 200 just wider?

Shapton pro 120 is the fastest I have used. Faster than the pink brick but a good margin. The only problem is It is primarily designed for stainless steels and stainless clad knives. It also needs to be conditioned with silicone carbide grit every once in a while.

If you have access to silicone carbide (can be purchased on amazon) and the knives in question are some form of stainless then it is the answer

Any sigmas users or shapton glass users? How is thinning with them?

Thirstiness aside it certainly moves metal.

I’ve always wanted to play with one of those shinko/makita horizontal water grinders…

Welp, this thread did it. Ended up grabbing one of these to try out. Who knows, maybe a farmers market sharpening stand is in my future.

1653074630291.jpeg

My pink brick was super thirsty too. But probably a year and a half in, after somewhat unsatisfied persistent use, it suddenly held water way better. It did wear down my aroma 140 quite effectively however, but I don’t find the dishing too bad. Prefer the scratches and feel of the cerax 320 but that thing dishes something crazy.

Glass 500 is my workhorse stone. Works as a fast 1k stone. Also good for getting out more minor chips and dings. Getting setup for higher grits when thinning or polishing.
Sigma 240 cuts fast and dishes somewhat. It cuts faster than it dishes, so it works out fine. Not my favorite for sharpening though, only thinning.
It is so weird that I think the 1k sigma is an amazing stone but the feeling you get while on it isn’t that “good”? Purely my subjective feeling. It does everything well and achieves its goal but I would like a different feel while sharpening as it is my hobby/relaxation/almost meditative part of the week.

Glass 500 is my workhorse stone. Works as a fast 1k stone. Also good for getting out more minor chips and dings. Getting setup for higher grits when thinning or polishing.
Sigma 240 cuts fast and dishes somewhat. It cuts faster than it dishes, so it works out fine. Not my favorite for sharpening though, only thinning.
It is so weird that I think the 1k sigma is an amazing stone but the feeling you get while on it isn’t that “good”? Purely my subjective feeling. It does everything well and achieves its goal but I would like a different feel while sharpening as it is my hobby/relaxation/almost meditative part of the week.

The 240 feels almost like a Crystolon stone. Hard to describe other than "sharpening on death".

Back