Thoughts about Sushi Kiri ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirCutAlot

Banned
Reaction score
What do sushi chef`s think about SushiKiri knifes ? I worked some times in Japan and all over the world and never did see any of this knives in action, why, are they bad (i got one but think i am too stupid too use it ;) ).

Cutting maki and stuff like this i always used sujihiki knives, worked best for me.

SirCutALot

What do sushi chef`s think about SushiKiri knifes ? I worked some times in Japan and all over the world and never did see any of this knives in action, why, are they bad (i got one but think i am too stupid too use it ;) ).

Cutting maki and stuff like this i always used sujihiki knives, worked best for me.

SirCutALot
Lucky for you, I just watched this video this week, had to comb back through my YouTube history to find it. You can see one at the 5:00 and 11:30 time stamps. At least I think it’s a sushikiri. Looks like a cool knife, but very specific.

Ok the cutting motion is quite unique :) . Thanks for sharing.

Another input welcome, especially for the use oft knifes like this.

thanks in advance

SirCutALot

SirCutALot
I haven't seen it myself in all the sushi bars I've been to. This knife is use to cut roll/ maki but with the blade that big and height at the heel IDK if I ever get one.
IDK maybe someone try it before and can share some info. I would like to hear about the experience.

Add: that one the one on the video above look smaller, I've seen the big one at knife store which almost like a Chinese cleaver (blade height). I think suji or thin and less height Gyuto is better for maki IMO.

Last edited:
Add: that one the one on the video above look smaller, I've seen the big one at knife store which almost like a Chinese cleaver (blade height). I think suji or thin and less height Gyuto is better for maki IMO.
This is what i think too. A Suji does a better job, eben better then Yanagibas IMO.

So what is the use for this strange knives (mine is heavy as a MeatCleaver. It is very good for mincing herbs and garlic or even beef.)?

SirCutALot

Back