thoughts on Birch and Bevel Wrought Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops, my bad, they're not exactly the same, the passaround was of this one: MCX | Gyuto 240mm Wrought Iron Clad Apex Ultra | Modern Cooking

My understanding is that the B&B ones are also made by Jonas though. Specs don't look too different, maybe a tiny bit more robust spine on the B&B.
You're right, the dimensions are different, but the profile looks similar. Ya, pretty sure it's forged by Jonas as well. Ok hopefully someone else that has/has tried one will jump in. Curious how it cuts/if there's any wedging

I have this knife in 250mm. It look amazing! My favourite knife at the moment. Vedge a little bit in big carrots and big potatoes. I get the steel very sharp but find it difficult to get good “bite” in the steel. I don’t have much experience with the apex ultra. The steel is very hard. Best resault are with diamonds of what I have tested. Looks like it’s not very reactive, or rusty. I live near the sea with high humidity, and other (carbon) knives need oil to not rust.
I’m home user, and when I pick up one knife for a meal, this is the choice at the moment.

i mean my opinion on these knives is a little biased, because i work with that Company.
What i can tell you, the blades Jonas and Fredrik do are incredible nice.
I own a B&B Wrought 230 of the first ever batch as it still was clean finish and no KU.
I loved the knife and for this pricerange its incredible.

Since i started working with them a few things have changed.
We now do a KU Forged finish on ALL B&B Knives and the handles i do for them are a little different than before and i got a LOT of good feedback for the handles and the new cosntruction.
The big boi Wroughts have and awesome taper, nice thicc back with a needle like tip.
I personaly love to use one of my Version 2 Carbon B&B, a 230 where i ****ed up the handle glue up and just payed them for the blade cause i wanted to keep it.
Fredrik did a great job on the blade too! Its easy use, no wedge at carrots and a "fun to use" I'd say overall package.F
For the pricerange B&B Charges, these knives are PERFECT.
I couldnt do that price at one of my knives at all with said performance.

I have this knife in 250mm. It look amazing! My favourite knife at the moment. Vedge a little bit in big carrots and big potatoes. I get the steel very sharp but find it difficult to get good “bite” in the steel. I don’t have much experience with the apex ultra. The steel is very hard. Best resault are with diamonds of what I have tested. Looks like it’s not very reactive, or rusty. I live near the sea with high humidity, and other (carbon) knives need oil to not rust.
I’m home user, and when I pick up one knife for a meal, this is the choice at the moment.
The 1 time I sharpened apex ultra I found it pretty slow with sg1000. Probably should have dropped to 500 but was lazy which backfired...had to spend at least 10 min per side. Id imagine on diamond stones it's a lot quicker. I didn't check the edge at 4k, but at 6k it was pretty refined with not much bite. Ended up finishing on a suita which made the edge perfect

I have the 250mm. Well made knife. Has a considerably long flat heel that probably runs halfway 1/3 along the blade edge. Has good distal taper, the tip is thin so slides well through horizontal cuts. You'll struggle to find an apex wrought iron knife that costs this much. When it comes to sharpening, I sharpened it side by side to a Toyama blue 2. This takes longer to Apex and debur but feels softer on the stone than toyama. From my personal experience it feels more similar to a Simon Maillet 26C3 on the stones. Good feedback compared to the glassy feel of the Toyama.

Apologies to Martin who has already commented but my only criticism is the size of the handle. I am a fan of large handles on large gyutos and the handle is too small for my preference on a 250mm. For my taste, this brings the balance too forward. I do wish the makers would make the handles to the 250mm bigger and longer. Other than the size, it's a very well made handle.

Get it,
Worth the money.

i mean my opinion on these knives is a little biased, because i work with that Company.
What i can tell you, the blades Jonas and Fredrik do are incredible nice.
I own a B&B Wrought 230 of the first ever batch as it still was clean finish and no KU.
I loved the knife and for this pricerange its incredible.

Since i started working with them a few things have changed.
We now do a KU Forged finish on ALL B&B Knives and the handles i do for them are a little different than before and i got a LOT of good feedback for the handles and the new cosntruction.
The big boi Wroughts have and awesome taper, nice thicc back with a needle like tip.
I personaly love to use one of my Version 2 Carbon B&B, a 230 where i ****ed up the handle glue up and just payed them for the blade cause i wanted to keep it.
Fredrik did a great job on the blade too! Its easy use, no wedge at carrots and a "fun to use" I'd say overall package.F
For the pricerange B&B Charges, these knives are PERFECT.
I couldnt do that price at one of my knives at all with said performance.
Sorry I might misunderstood… is the new KU wrought ApexUltra gyuto by Spåre or Jonas?

Sorry I might misunderstood… is the new KU wrought ApexUltra gyuto by Spåre or Jonas?

I would suspect Jonas based upon the straight choil/heel - Spare's seem to use the swept back choil/heel (like the mono carbon)

Maybe @moderncooking could confirm?

The 1 time I sharpened apex ultra I found it pretty slow with sg1000. Probably should have dropped to 500 but was lazy which backfired...had to spend at least 10 min per side. Id imagine on diamond stones it's a lot quicker. I didn't check the edge at 4k, but at 6k it was pretty refined with not much bite. Ended up finishing on a suita which made the edge perfect
Can I ask what type of suita you get good result with? Do you have tested other naturals? I have to test more..

I have the 250mm. Well made knife. Has a considerably long flat heel that probably runs halfway 1/3 along the blade edge. Has good distal taper, the tip is thin so slides well through horizontal cuts. You'll struggle to find an apex wrought iron knife that costs this much. When it comes to sharpening, I sharpened it side by side to a Toyama blue 2. This takes longer to Apex and debur but feels softer on the stone than toyama. From my personal experience it feels more similar to a Simon Maillet 26C3 on the stones. Good feedback compared to the glassy feel of the Toyama.

Apologies to Martin who has already commented but my only criticism is the size of the handle. I am a fan of large handles on large gyutos and the handle is too small for my preference on a 250mm. For my taste, this brings the balance too forward. I do wish the makers would make the handles to the 250mm bigger and longer. Other than the size, it's a very well made handle.

Get it,
Worth the money.
Most people dislike handles larger than 130 (i am on your side tbh), but thank you so much for the feedback! appreciate it!
And to the other Question:
Carbon - Fredrik
Wrought & Honyaki - Jonas
Handles - Me

Future new entry in works and prototypes beeing soon made...all by me ;) (but thats all i can tell u rn)

Most people dislike handles larger than 130 (i am on your side tbh), but thank you so much for the feedback! appreciate it!
Carbon - Fredrik
Handles - Me

Future new entry in works and prototypes beeing soon made...all by me ;) (but thats all i can tell u rn)
I smell a passaround before product launch

Carbon - Fredrik
Handles - Me

I have to say; for me, with hands that are normal size, the handle and the balance is very good. 👍
(I think it is the best handle I have now).

Personally think Martin's handles are quite nice.
Really don't like long handles, they get in the way. 135mm is max for me and that's usually too long. Balance point and weight distribution is a totally different aspect and usually worked around with taper, wood choice.. Also people will grab a knife differently and some people prefer more blade heavyness than others

Big thanks to @martinhuber for fielding these questions. All correct answers.

Stock has been a little up and down lately. Apologies to anyone who has been struggling to get their hands on one of the Birch & Bevel knives. We currently have a few pieces available on Modern Cooking if you are interested.

https://moderncooking.com/collections/birch-and-bevel

Last edited:
Back