Thoughts on Shibata Kotetsu R2 Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmz76

Reaction score
Very interested in getting a 210mm , but would love any feedback from those of you with experience with them, thanks in advance !

I would assume the gyuto is like the bunka - could be used to define the word laser, drops through items like medium sized carrots with spectacular ease, but like anything on the very thing side food release is not the best.

I have a bunka also but heard that all the shapes perform similar and is amazing for its purpose.
Just feels a bit fragile if you are trying to go heavy handed if it makes sense?

I have the 240 version of the Kotetsu R2 gyuto as well as the 240 AS version and love both of these knives. Cut better than anything I own, they are super easy to touch up or sharpen when necessary. As others have mentioned they "feel" a bit on the fragile side but you'd be surprised. I have yet to see any micro chipping with either of these knives despite how thin and laser-like they are. I own other highly regarded knives that have lost their edge integrity quicker than the Shibatas despite being more robust workhorses.

As for fragility of the blade - before I got the bunka, I'd read a bunch of comments of people tipping the gyutos due to the thinness.

I could rock chop the bunka without issue but you do hear a "ting" every so often if you try and turn a touch too early.

Only issue with the edge I ever had was I handed the knife to the finacee to wash, she handed it back to me to dry and there was the slightest little dent in the blade. Was super easy to fix, but not sure what actually happened.

I have a 240 r2 now and had a 240 AS in the past. I like/liked them both as a laser. The AS one is stiffer on the spine while the R2 is thinner overall. I think that AS steel was very well heat-treated as the edge was super thin (one of my few knives that cut into end grain board easily) and never chipped/rolled while I owned it. I only sharpened it once but it was easy. I let go of a tad and the shibata AS and keep the shibata R2 because it is an extreme sample as a laser, but I personally hope it is a little smaller and stiffer. Maybe 225 mm in length and 0.1-0.2 mm thicker on the spine.

I have a 240. Love it. I have had several lasers. I kept only one. This one. For a laser it has a decent FR with a non sticky finish, still a laser though. Much more robust than it looks like.

It is a carrot atomizer.

My bunka is basically king at 180mm or so range, nothing else competes within 3x the price, it's pretty amazing laser.

I don't have the bunka but I do have his Tinker Knives Tank which is a cleaver-esque bunka. Super thin grind behind the edge and was the sharpest OOTB edge I have ever experienced. Even sharper than the R2 240 gyuto. Could literally slice paper thin grapes right out of the box.

Back