to flatten or not to flatten?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are not small pieces of sic. Much too large to go airborne. Especially the grits needed to flatten a 140 grit stone. They're like grains of sand or larger. Not a risk.
by "These are not small pieces of sic" you are referring to the 60/90 grit?

by "These are not small pieces of sic" you are referring to the 60/90 grit?
Yeah. I use 60 for that range if stone. I also use 36 grit for my manticore, and those are particularly big.

Cheap and effective.

2-Pcs Diamond Hand Polishing Pads 60 Grits Sanding Blocks for Glass Ceramics Concrete Stone Smoothing Polishing https://a.co/d/goC2wdI
thank you for this recommendation I have an atoma 140 and with this, i will be able to flatten the coarse stones
in your experience how much time/lapping times does that hand-polishing pad last when lapping coarse stones?

thank you for this recommendation I have an atoma 140 and with this, i will be able to flatten the coarse stones
in your experience how much time/lapping times does that hand-polishing pad last when lapping coarse stones?
I only have one stone under 220, Shapton Pro 120, that I use it on. I don't use that stone very much and only had it 6 months, but seems like it will last a while, and there is two of them. I mostly use it for refreshing the surface, which clogs pretty easy, and it's great at that. Otherwise I try to use the stone as evenly as possible to avoid a lot of heavy flattening work.

I only have one stone under 220, Shapton Pro 120, that I use it on. I don't use that stone very much and only had it 6 months, but seems like it will last a while, and there is two of them. I mostly use it for refreshing the surface, which clogs pretty easy, and it's great at that. Otherwise I try to use the stone as evenly as possible to avoid a lot of heavy flattening work.
and if you flatten every time after you use the stone it keeps your stone flat and by definition it means that there wont be heavy flattening work needed

Back