Trouble flipping burr

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobby

Reaction score
I generally start sharpening with the tip pointing left. I have no trouble developing a burr, but when I go to sharpen the other side, I seem to always struggle getting the burr to flip. I feel like sometimes I can sharpen ad basin and the burr stays on the original side. Even running the blade through cork, I can't remove it. Any advice? Is my angle on the back side wrong?

Generally using jns red aoto as my starting Stone. Finish on jns 6000

Which knives a re we talking about he here?

One possibility is that you are not reaching the edge on side B. Have you used the sharpie trick to confirm that you are hiting the edge?

Generally gyutos

Forgot about the sharpie trick. Will give that a try

I guess i should have specified that I was asking which steel (and whose HT), so the actual names of the makers and knives might help.

One possibility is that you are not reaching the edge on side B.

I could be wrong, but the culprit for not hitting the edge might be either using too low an angle on side B or a knife with very asymmetrical bevels and trying to sharpen both sides at the same angle.

Variety of knives. Current one giving me grief is masamoto ks 240. I own Tanaka, shig, katos, tsourkan, misono. All carbon

Your angle is off OR you're not removing enough steel I'd say. Try a coarser stone?

Try a steeper angle.

The most important technique is feeling and listening for the optimal angle to hold the knife. I got just got a used ebay petty. The previous owner didn't know how to sharpen a "Double Bevel Edge 70/30". It's a different angle on each side. Even as I approach the tip of the petty the angle of the bevel changes.

Back