• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Traded True Unicorn Kato Ku Kantogata Nakiri w/chestnut handle BNIB

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Looking to trade this truly unique example of Kiyoshi Kato's earlier work. This is a BNIB NOS example which I purchased from a vendor in Japan. Apparently this has blue steel core. I only know of one other example and that has a Ho wood handle. This one has an original burned chestnut.

Blue steel Core
Edge length 150mm
Weight ~185g
Spine at heel ~5mm
Spine 1cm from tip ~1mm

Looking to trade this knife for the following in similar condition with cash adjustments as necessary:
Handleless Kato 240 std
Ho/Chestnut/Custom Kato 240 std
Ho/Chestnut/Custom Kato 210 WH

Will also consider:
Togashi honyaki
Mizuno honyaki

Let's talk. I'm located in DFW, TX

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.38.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.38.38 PM.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.38.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.38.54 PM.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.39.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.39.10 PM.png
    374 KB · Views: 359
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.39.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.39.27 PM.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.09.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.09.12 AM.png
    557 KB · Views: 355
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.40.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.40.00 PM.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Not sure if I’m allowed to post this but delete mods if it’s not acceptable.

I have two myself and this is the fourth one I know of.

Also - he stills makes them. I brought my 2nd one two months ago from a shop that just received their order from kato direct.

It’s rare still

I was offered one some 5-6 months ago and don’t believe it was old stock as the seller had only had it a few months

Not sure if I’m allowed to post this but delete mods if it’s not acceptable.

I have two myself and this is the fourth one I know of.

Also - he stills makes them. I brought my 2nd one two months ago from a shop that just received their order from kato direct.

It’s rare still
Good to know. I was just going by what the vendor said and that in 4 years scouring the forums and IG, I've never seen one posted. I did read you had one. Two sounds excessive :)
How many have the burned chestnut handle? For me that suggests an older example.

I can post a choil shot when I get home at the end of next week.

Good to know. I was just going by what the vendor said and that in 4 years scouring the forums and IG, I've never seen one posted. I did read you had one. Two sounds excessive :)
How many have the burned chestnut handle? For me that suggests an older example.

I can post a choil shot when I get home at the end of next week.

Hate to break to you but its not like a shigefusa where the handles and boxes are part of the total package from Shigefusa.

It's well known that kato only sends out just the blank knife (no box, no handles) to vendors who then apply their own handles and boxes. This is the reason why katos have a million different types of handles and boxes (many have no boxes).

A burnt chest nut handle does not say anything about age of the knife itself. Pretty much all the workhorses from JNS has a burnt chest nut handle.

Pretty much all the workhorses from JNS has a burnt chest nut handle.
I've noticed Maksim hasn't been offering chestnut handles on his WH offerings for quite some time.

Last edited:
Blade height at widest point is 53.5mm

Here's the choil shot as requested. Super thin behind the edge

this was a true unicorn...published in a reputable Japanese knives magazine talking about Kiyoshi Kato's skill and showing it as one of the sample knives :)

Kato1.PNG

Last edited:
Its little brother just sold too. Do you have a copy of the article?

The magazine is called" 男が選ぶ日本の包丁 (The Perfect Book of Japanese Cooking Knives) and you can buy it on amazon.co.jp kindle for 2750yen. If you browse the sample on amazon you can see the kato article.

Last edited:
Its another example of the smaller 135mm version you can see in the magazine cover photo. That seller measures from the handle so edge length is around 135mm. They are nice blades if you like that style, thin behind the edge and great HT.

Its another example of the smaller 135mm version you can see in the magazine cover photo. That seller measures from the handle so edge length is around 135mm. They are nice blades if you like that style, thin behind the edge and great HT.

That's what I thought too. Yet he listed the other as a 150MM. Which is a common size for the small Nakiris.

The one in the magazine picture has in fact a 140mm blade length. Measured from the handle it is 145mm. The one which sold today on the auctions is its twin. These smaller nakiris are rare indeed since he didn't make too many. They are very fun to use slim and light and you can chop vegetables like a dream.

The one in the magazine picture has in fact a 140mm blade length. Measured from the handle it is 145mm. The one which sold today on the auctions is its twin. These smaller nakiris are rare indeed since he didn't make too many. They are very fun to use slim and light and you can chop vegetables like a dream.

Ahh got it. I guess it was really cool now that we know there are about 20 of these floating around. I think from the aforementioned tally a quarter of them are already accounted for by people in these forums lol.

Back