Trying to understand weird refelection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heliosphere

Reaction score
I recently got a Haruyuki Kuma knife from Knifewear, and when I look closely at the line between the hard cutting steel and the cladding, the reflection looks like there's an indentation between the two layers. But when I feel it with my fingernail, the transition feels totally smooth. Anyone have an explanation for this?
IMG_6780.jpg

Might just be a zone of carbon migration. Typically the cladding will be something low carbon, so during forging the carbon can migrate from the high carbon core steel to the lower carbon cladding. Some bladesmiths may laminate or buy prelaminate that has nickel sheet between the core and cladding to help block carbon migration and that will typically be visible as a bright line between the core and cladding.

Looks like a nickel layer to me.

Hoss

My understanding is the san mai process uses three layers of steel that are fused together by another metal with a lower melting temperature, like soldering. The "groove" that you're seeing is a trick of the eye, just a contrast between the different layers of metal. Exactly WHY they are darker or lighter color has to do with the compositions of the alloys, etc...

Back