• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Tsukasa Hinoura River Jump

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the pursuit of my dream Japanese 240 collection, and upon receiving my 240 Tsukasa Hinoura Flowing Clouds, It is time I come to terms with the fact I need to part ways with my favourite knife ever. Never used, because I always knew the goal was to get a 240. Comes with all the original fixings including kiri box, paper sheath within cardboard sheath and neat little scroll. Price has been the most difficult with this, as much like other high profile japanese makers, it's worth more than they retail for. I try to be a fair and good guy here, but I'm also not about to sell it for a steal, just to watch somebody else sell it a week later for a profit. I asked around with some more experienced collectors for what something like this is worth and got numbers from $3,000 - $3,500. Whether or not that's true, I dunno. But I'll err on the lower side and list it today for $3,100. If it doesn't sell in a couple weeks, I'll lower it a bit as I don't plan on sitting on this for years as an investment or anything. I want somebody else to enjoy literally the most amazing knife I've ever held. So without further adieu, and with tremendous uncertainty, my River Jump.

Tsukasa Hinoura River Jump Gyuto
$3,100 + Shipping (I will cover the first $50)

Length: 215mm
Height: 50.15mm
Thickness: 3.44mm
Weight: 207g
Steel: Shirogami #2 / Wrought Iron
Handle: Ebony / Buffalo Horn

Pics of it today below, as well as pics the day I received it and far more about the knife here:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/owl-woodworks-collection.60483/post-995510

Oh! I forgot to add that I am in search of a 240 Yo handled denka which I will happily incorporate into a trade!

IMG_3080.jpg
IMG_3081.jpg
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3083.jpg

@OwlWoodworks I know that the twist pattern is legendary but I haven't heard much about these knives beyond that feature. Especially given your collection, I'm real curious to know more about your impression that this is the most amazing knife you've ever held. What other aspects stand out to you?
Wonderful question, and I would say the biggest thing is it is an absolute masterpiece in terms of blacksmithing. The twist is awesome, obviously, but everyone doing twists these days is using a san mai construction. Having a warikomi construction like Tsukasa does here allows you to follow that pattern from one side of the blade, over the spine and onto the other. There is no break, no core steel in the way, just smooth flowing lines that wrap over the spine of the knife. It is unbelievably cool to see. Where it gets extra cool is at the tip on the spine where you can see how the cladding is split apart and the core steel is inserted. It feels like the coresteel almost rips into and distorts the pattern, forcing itself in. On some of his knives this isn't actually noticeable at all, but because the twisting pattern happens to also fall on the tip of this knife, you can see that pattern distort and highlight how the knife was made. I'll throw some pics in of that for ya. Lastly with regards to the twist, seeing those lines come down the side on a tight diagonal and then stretch down the bevel of the blade really accentuates the geometry. Again all of this is just a magnificeint display of blacksmithing techniques. If you have an appreciation for that kind of thing, this isas good as it gets.

There are lots of other little things of course like a flawless ku, nice weight and such, but those things that are normally noteworthy on other knives are kinda of overshadowed by all the other incredible details you can admire. It's just a step above everything else out there in so many ways

231259-DSC03892.jpg
231258-DSC03889.jpg
231261-DSC03897.jpg
231256-DSC03883.jpg

All of my favorite knives are BNIB! This one must be good. GLWS

Wonderful question, and I would say the biggest thing is it is an absolute masterpiece in terms of blacksmithing. The twist is awesome, obviously, but everyone doing twists these days is using a san mai construction. Having a warikomi construction like Tsukasa does here allows you to follow that pattern from one side of the blade, over the spine and onto the other. There is no break, no core steel in the way, just smooth flowing lines that wrap over the spine of the knife. It is unbelievably cool to see. Where it gets extra cool is at the tip on the spine where you can see how the cladding is split apart and the core steel is inserted. It feels like the coresteel almost rips into and distorts the pattern, forcing itself in. On some of his knives this isn't actually noticeable at all, but because the twisting pattern happens to also fall on the tip of this knife, you can see that pattern distort and highlight how the knife was made. I'll throw some pics in of that for ya. Lastly with regards to the twist, seeing those lines come down the side on a tight diagonal and then stretch down the bevel of the blade really accentuates the geometry. Again all of this is just a magnificeint display of blacksmithing techniques. If you have an appreciation for that kind of thing, this isas good as it gets.

There are lots of other little things of course like a flawless ku, nice weight and such, but those things that are normally noteworthy on other knives are kinda of overshadowed by all the other incredible details you can admire. It's just a step above everything else out there in so many ways

View attachment 303655View attachment 303654View attachment 303657View attachment 303658

Thanks that helps me understand a lot more about what I'm looking at. I have no blacksmithing experience, personally, so while I was definitely capable of looking at the river jump and thinking "ooo pretty," it's quite another thing to have an appreciation for the sheer technical mastery that goes into making something so aesthetically pleasing. Makes me wish I really could understand it on that level! Anyway, I'd say GLWS but I don't think you'll need any luck here.

Back