Sous Vide Turning Chuck to Rib Eye

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting in this thread as I was planning to do the chefsteps chuck roast for Xmas. My concern is finding a chuck roast from the rib end, as recommended. Can any experts comment on how essential this particular piece of chuck is? I can find a huge hunk of something at Restaurant Depot, or take a chance on ordering something from the local supermarket or Costco. Thanks.

Knowing your mastery of the BGE, I will suggest you shop RD, cut off the end you want then reserve remainder for chuckies or some such.

Or buy the PR and forgo the SV. PR on the egg is a religious experience.

Hehe. I may hit RD tomorrow and see what they have. I would love to do PR but cant swing it. Next year when wifey goes back to work, it will be so. Do you smoke yours?

I have. Prefer the Egg but no smoke. And I have done boneless SV last spring for Mother's Day. For 150.

PR here gets to 2 -3 /lb close to Christmas. With bone, 1 lb/person will get em all fed.

Shopped RD today and everything was out of my budget. Ordered a 6lb chuck roast from the grocery store that'll I'll get on Friday. I asked if possible to get from rib end, but I'm dubious. Can the chuck vary greatly depending on from where it's cut, at least for this purpose?

Brian if you have some transglutaminaze take the chuck apart and glue it back together.

Be careful if you do this ... you'll have pieces of meet that aren't sterile deep inside the final package. Best to avoid for low-temperature cooks where the center will be below pasteurization temperature for longer than 4 hours or so.

Back