Two new stones...one coarse one fine

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutFingers

Reaction score
I'm looking for a bevel setting stone and finisher in the 5k range. I think 5k makes a pretty good edge, going beyond that I don't know if I'm ready to spend that kind of money.

I was thinking about Shapton glass since I could easily use it at work as a strop for touch ups.

I'm liking the JNS 300 as a course stone. A lot. True S&G, some dishing/wear but nothing like the Bestor 500. At upper end, Rika good for 5K, I use mine for mirror finish on stainless. G8K for carbon. No experience with Sharpton.

Do you like hard stones? And how important is feedback to you?

I have both a Shapton GS 1k & 4k. AFAIK, there's only the 4k & 6k so those are your options for that grit range.

I actually like the 1k a lot. It's incredibly fast cutting - the fastest in the range that I've tried. Unless you are trying to do serious repairs/metal removal, there wouldn't be a need for you to drop to a lower grit. It's a true splash & go and it's small and compact, so it's nice to bring to work with you.

But I dislike the 4k just as much. The feedback is horrible on it and if you aren't confident with your technique, it's very easy to round your edge and it'll do more harm than good. Even with good technique, I don't think the edge it leaves is all that great and I much prefer the one I get off my Rika 5k. But I also like soakers.

If I was going to do it again, I'd probably buy a Shapton Pro 1k & 5k. They're larger, softer, and with a bit better feedback. Their case also serves as a stone base which is convenient for work - the Glass Stones are so thin that they really need a holder or some sort of elevated pan set-up, which isn't practical mid-shift.

I'm liking the JNS 300 as a course stone. A lot. True S&G, some dishing/wear but nothing like the Bestor 500.
I wonder how JNS 300 compares to Gesshin 400 as I am thinking of getting mid coarse stone for my self.

I agree with JDA_NC's observations about the 4k GS and preference for the Rika 5k. The Shapton glass stones are one of my more regrettable purchases. I would suggest looking at something else. I've been pleased with the JNS 6k.

I wonder how JNS 300 compares to Gesshin 400 as I am thinking of getting mid coarse stone for my self.

I have actually both, although the JNS only since recently so I can only give some preliminary feedback. The JNS is harder, S&G (an advnatage to me as it dries in about a day, while soaking stone needs around 4 days - my wife does not enjoy that part :) ) and I think it dishes more slowly. The feel is different than the Gesshin, but both feel reasonably well for grit this low. Both stones cut fast and at this stage I do not have enough experience to say which is faster.

Unless the difference between soaking and S&G is very relevant, I would base my choice between JNS 300 and Gesshin 400 on your location & costs.

Just a word on the Gesshin - I have noted recently that Jon has a new 400 stone which he calls "400S" and sells it parallel with the m'old' 400 one. It may be of interest to you.

I started down this rabbit hole with a Bestor 500. Though perma soaked, I never could find the "sweet spot" between too wet and too dry. Did not (and do not) like the stone. Then bought a G400 and perma soak it. This I like. Very consistent, good feedback, doesn't wear badly. Finally bought the JNS300 to have a course stone that would travel. As noted above I like this one a lot. Aside from the S&G, I have a slight preference for it over the G400. YMMV.

As Matus noted, price and availability should go into the equation.

Latest posts

Back