Unicorn gyuto search!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyc

Reaction score
I was trying not to inconvenience the fine folks of this forum with something so (seemingly) basic so I posted in a few Facebook groups - turns out most people didnt bother reading my post before replying lol.

So standard questionaire below, additional notes included. The combination of blade height and yo handle seemed to exclude many knives right off the bat. The knife I'm envisioning might not exist but my fingers are crossed!

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto/k-tip gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western (or at least a very western wa handle ala Shun Blue/zKramer Meiji). Spine has to be in line with the handle; no gaps/seams at the handle/blade transition.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
230-270mm length, 60 +/-5mm blade height

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No. Open minded to AS/52100/HAP40/SG2/ZDP189

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$400 USD (I know this should be technically possible, zKramer Euroline & Meiji come pretty close to all requirements except blade profile

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
veg prep, boneless protein portioning

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
-Augmenting zKramer Carbon, CCK 1302, various cheaper gyutos

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-For this knife, mostly pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
-Push cut, draw

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

-Very flat (for a gyuto) edge profile, low tip. Kramer blade shape would be just about perfect - if it were upside-down.
-If the zKramer Euroline Damascus was available as a 12", I would just buy that to shorten it myself & refinish.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
-Some kind of lamination line. SS clad or damascus clad for asthetics.
-synthetic/stabilized handle materials only (but if its slab handled wood, I dont mind removing existing scales and rebuilding it)

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

-balance point 4-18mm in front of index finger pinch grip
-large circumference handle (zKramer Euroline is pretty good at the first rivet, too narrow at the bolster)
-SHORT tang(machi?) length between choil and tang (I think this is the correct technical term; I choke up really far forward on my pinch grip, see Shun's KO line as an extreme example. Miyabi Birchwood is an example of LONG tang length)
-rounded/square choil & spine is not a deal-breaker; I can do that work myself

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
-can come unedged for all I care, I usually end up refinishing knives ootb anyway.
-the wide blade + low tip in this blade shape have been hard for me to find, the proper knife would probably solve my draw cut problems/laziness

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
-I dont mind sharpening, but would expect performance to be proportionate with steels listed above.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
wood, synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
If necessary. Already have stones from 200-10k & various polishes

Attached: knives I have & like but don't fit all my requirements.

Thank you KKF!

gyutos.jpg

Last edited:
Almost everything Ive read points to a Shinko Seilan 240 Ktip (tall, very low tip l, flat, AS , wideish bevel) except it dosent fit your handle expectations, but its rather inexpensive the money you save can goto a custom handling job.

Thanks forumites! Conversations initiated with HSC & Evert.

I take it there are no production/factory options?

Almost everything Ive read points to a Shinko Seilan 240 Ktip (tall, very low tip l, flat, AS , wideish bevel) except it dosent fit your handle expectations, but its rather inexpensive the money you save can goto a custom handling job.

Was hoping for something taller, and the narrow tang makes a western handle build difficult. But its inexpensive enough that I might end up getting one to mess around with anyway :D

takamura hana gyuto maybe? damascus aesthetic and western wa handle design as well. sg2 core if im not mistaken

takamura hana gyuto maybe? damascus aesthetic and western wa handle design as well. sg2 core if im not mistaken
I checked one out locally despite being over the $ limit but the blade was not tall enough right off the bat.

I'll give another vote of confidence to HSC. A few months ago, Harbeer made me a mono out of Z wear. Great, great steel. Devin Thomas really likes its equivalent (PD1). I'm super happy with the knife he made me. Mine is a hidden tang western. I believe Harbeer was working on sourcing some stainless clad Z wear. (Though I personally would recommend the mono, but if OP really digs a lamination line, the stainless clad should take care of that.) It might be a bit over budget, but not sure.

Here's a pic:
OKPSzZE.jpg

I've concluded my conversation with HSC; I love the proposed knife but unfortunately the combination of features/specs I want pushes the cost well beyond my budget.

I still see the worth in the knife and will aspire to it one day, but just cant justify it at this time.

Back to the search for production items :)

https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=3354
not quite what your looking for but profiles closer
Honestly, it fits most of my functional requirements but I will shamelessly admit that I also need the "bling" factor - when I bring it out somewhere to cook in front of people, I need the knife to tell its own story too to distract from my weird cooking lol

The other way to think of it is that I'm approaching cooking to play with knives moreso than needing specific knives to improve my prep (although that ought to happen too I suppose). I'm a general knife collector (mostly US production brands) first which is where my steel snobbery comes from - I won't even buy a folding knife any more thats "just" VG-10 or S30V.

Semi-serious cheap solution :p. Take a angle grinder to one of your kramers and get a lower k-tip. Possible if you manage to do it cold. ~cut a couple of mm, cool with wet rag, repeat...

Considered that but it would make it too short. If the knife were a 12" I'd seriously have done it already.
Semi-serious cheap solution :p. Take a angle grinder to one of your kramers and get a lower k-tip. Possible if you manage to do it cold. ~cut a couple of mm, cool with wet rag, repeat...

Back