Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maz is better than Kato, yep I said it
Greg put his money where his mouth is, getting that Mazascus. I will say coming into knifes in 2014, i wasnt ready for Katos. By the time i was ready they were difficult and expensive to attain, so I never was able to amass a collection. But ive had my hands on a few. I used to hope Mazaki was going to be a poor mans Kato, but after getting the blues my initial reaction is im more drawn to them than the katos. They are still BNIB though, so i havent even used them:rolleyes:. But at the very least Mazaki has really come into his own.

Shigefusa's kitaeji gyuto and Masakage's Kumo gyuto look the same to me :dancingchicken:
1602736876015.png
1602736912468.png

Some people who thought it was funny when people wanted kindness during the knives of our wives deal are some of the same people asking for kindness now. *RATM instrumental playing*

Is it a full moon? Mars in ascension? Or something else agitating people tonight... But sure, let's rehash this just so we're clear.

Publicly shaming someone because you're offended on behalf of an imagined third-party whose feelings you're projecting is not kindness. It's a passive aggressive power move deployed to achieve social dominance and satisfy a savior complex, not kindness.

The only similarity between the two situations is they should have been resolved through PM. The way they were handled indicates that both parties were primarily concerned with stoking public conflict, which again, is not kindness.

Is it a full moon? Mars in ascension? Or something else agitating people tonight... But sure, let's rehash this just so we're clear.

Publicly shaming someone because you're offended on behalf of an imagined third-party whose feelings you're projecting is not kindness. It's a passive aggressive power move deployed to achieve social dominance and satisfy a savior complex, not kindness.

The only similarity between the two situations is they should have been resolved through PM. The way they were handled indicates that both parties were primarily concerned with stoking public conflict, which again, is not kindness.

I don’t want to relitigate this, and I’m not necessarily condoning the tone of the first objection on that thread, but I think it’s sometimes preferable to call attention to something publicly. One should do so in a gentle way that doesn’t rise to the level of shaming, and this is most appropriate when the thing you’re objecting to is commonly accepted by the community. PMing tells that particular person that you’d rather they do something different next time. A public post tells the community that you’d prefer something to be another way, and supports those members who might share your opinion but be too timid to say it. The public post is the one that’s more likely to have an effect on the culture of the community.

I don’t want to relitigate this, and I’m not necessarily condoning the tone of the first objection on that thread, but I think it’s sometimes preferable to call attention to something publicly. One should do so in a gentle way that doesn’t rise to the level of shaming, and this is most appropriate when the thing you’re objecting to is commonly accepted by the community. PMing tells that particular person that you’d rather they do something different next time. A public post tells the community that you’d prefer something to be another way, and supports those members who might share your opinion but be too timid to say it. The public post is the one that’s more likely to have an effect on the culture of the community.
I agree with you in theory, but it only works when done with kindness and empathy. Also, PMing could achieve immediate results since posts are editable.

Would you rather rehash TFTFTFTFTF again?
Yes actually! My new theory is that Masashi now makes every single knife in Sanjo. Mazaki got too famous and now spends all his time riding his harley around rural Japan. This is based on absolutely nothing, but just look at all the Masashi knives at Yoshihiro... suspicious.

So, I get wanting to clean up threads about knife stuff, because people may want to use them as references and you want the information to be easily extractable. But noone’s going to go to a “too much moderation” thread, or “unpopular opinions” or “The Off Topic Thread” for that kind of stuff. Let the people have their social life. KKF is all we (ok, maybe I) have in this time of pandemic! 😱

Back