Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is very true. I’ve had the same experience: both eating at restaurants and working in kitchens. I’ve worked under great chefs with great cooking and knife skills... who used terrible knives. But, the bread knife was long, and toothy
Entire dishes at some restaurants I've worked at were made using ingredients cut with a bread knife.

And it was ****ing delicious.

Yeah took me a lot of money and time but so far I can say the C's have it down really well but outside that it gets really dicey as to what performs at all.

C's being Carter, Catcheside and Cris (Anderson)
Add another C. Comet. The two I've used have been exceptional cutters, with great grinds, HT and F&F

Unless you have considerable experience sharpening knives, or at least 3+ years experience, you probably should not be giving out any advice and/or there should be a requirement that you state your have no real experience before you nevertheless give any advice

Last edited:
People talking about how great a HT is compared to others without knowing any smith's actual process or knowing anything about matsci/metallurgy is hilarious

(TFTFTFTFTFTFTF)

Unless you have considerable experience sharpening knives, or at least 3+ years experience, you probably should not be giving out any advice and/or their should be a requirement that you state your have no real experience before you nevertheless give any advice
But but nobody has that kind of experience, that's why Ryky is such a source of holy knowledge. I heard he had 4 years, like wow, I could only imagine. Give that man a PhD already🤣

I think @Barclid and I need to get a beer.

Stock removal is a great way of making knives. Every forged knife ends with some stock removal, and forging can really gork the steel if it's not done right (source: my armchair expert dumbass and a few weeks in a blacksmithing class burning barstock)

I think @Barclid and I need to get a beer.

Stock removal is a great way of making knives. Every forged knife ends with some stock removal, and forging can really gork the steel if it's not done right (source: my armchair expert dumbass and a few weeks in a blacksmithing class burning barstock)
You're welcome in NYC any time. Hit me up.

After this COVID **** is done anyway.

Back