Usuba advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up ordering a Shigefusa. Obviously it will be ages before it comes but I have an operation on my shoulder upcoming, so at least part of the wait I won't be able to cook anyway.

http://www.nenohi.co.jp/en/index.html

...something to look at while you recover and wait for your shig. Nenohi doesn't get much attention around here and I am not a fan of nenox but the nenohi seems to be a different animal all together. The only other person who ever mentioned these was Salty who has the kiri version of my usuba; hon kasumi which can be seen on Korin. My knife, with ebony handle, is like high end suisin with perfect f&f and has to be ordered with a wait of about six weeks. At $850, this is not a toy but they also have a honyaki version. With any usuba, btw, and especially a big one, you have to take your time sharpening checking the flatness of the cutting edge as it is easy to create an uneven profile. You will have to buy a quartz countertop to check the edge :)

The nenohi is about 54 mm in height, 225 on the edge, mirror polish on the table, 306g.

Latest posts

Back