Vaseline for knife handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's the one.

Mind that it will make light woods like ho wood, maple and oak a bit more golden in colour, although all oils will darken the wood somewhat.

This is my experience as well... still worth it IMHO

Can't found any mineral oil in pharmacy of New Zealand, only can get beeswax, what should i do with these oil?

Also another question is can i put mightly putty on the handle gap for prevent rust ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_133107.jpg
    IMG_20190819_133107.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 43
In Au, pharmacies sell "Liquid Parrfin BP" which is essentially a pharmaceutical grade mineral oil. Cheaper than the stuff sold in Kitchen shops too.
Thank you so much, I'm very appreciate.

Will have a look at pharmacy.

Mix paraffin oil and beeswax (warm them together) to seal handle gap. Food safe and 100% waterproof if done correctly.
Don’t use putty.

Mix paraffin oil and beeswax (warm them together) to seal handle gap. Food safe and 100% waterproof if done correctly.
Don’t use putty.
For the beeswax, Is it important using natural beeswax or can be using synthetic one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190819_153804_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819_153804_com.android.chrome.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190819_153756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819_153756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190819_153748_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819_153748_com.android.chrome.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 22
Watco Danish Oil can be had for sub $8 from your local hardware store. It is just as easy to apply as mineral oil, and it will actaully penetrate and harden. I follow up with wax. You can actually use carnauba wax, like you would use on your car, or just some simple Minwax.

0000 steel wool, followed by 3M polishing paper to 1-8K. Finish it with tru-oil or something similar, 4-6 coats. If you like a satin finish, hit lightly again with the steel wool.

Howard's Butcher Block treatment. It's pre-mixed mineral oil and beeswax in a convenient squeeze bottle. Good for boards, handles, blades. Available at the River Store or at your local ACE (probably near the counter). Don't work too hard.

I like to use a wiping varnish or thinned spar; wipe on 3 coats, light sanding in between if necessary. Final sanding very fine paper. After a day, I top coat with renaissance wax and buff. This is a little more labor intensive but I like the results.

Back