Very inexpensive Chinese cleaver I can order?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wizard

GLGC Creator
Reaction score
Yesterday I ordered a Gesshin Uraku nakiri as a gift but now selfishness is kicking in and I want my own toy. However I have almost nothing to spend. I figure that a Chinese cleaver (slicer) could be fun and I've never used one. I would like to get the least expensive one that is decent. I don't want to drive around town looking for something so I'd like to order on-line if possible. Is there something less expensive than the CCK 1303 that is thin and isn't junk?

I have fun with my Dexter carbon cleaver. It is pretty thin and is on the small side. I am hoping to upgrade to the CCK 1303 this Christmas, but for now I am completely content with my Dexter. Got it for around $20 used. I think they are only $30 or so new and come in carbon and stainless.

It'll be a good inexpensive way to see if you like to use and sharpen a cleaver. Have fun!

i need to use cleavers more often. simply scooping food up with one is full of Win.

good luck..i need to go to the Wok shop for a Wok. the store is jam packed full of stuff. parking blows.

Ive been wanting a wok and a cleaver.... I shouldnt have gone to that site!

We have our version of that in Chinatown here. The front looks like a hole in the wall, all kinds of Chinese cooking equipment & a case of mostly CCK carbons. All my work cleavers over the years from that shop. Could get decent carbon cleaver back in the day 15.00-20.00. Bone cleaver 40.00 now around 75.00 for heavy cleaver.

+1 on wok shop. http://www.wokshop.com/ Good online presence and a great stop should one find themselves in SF. I bought my wok there some 20 years ago as well as a dirt cheap cleaver. Still use both.

I didn't realize they were in SF. I live in the bay area, so I will have to pay them a visit. I have been looking at woks online; but there is no substitute for seeing things in person.

As far as cheap cleavers go; I just picked up a Dexter Russel on ebay for $27. It looks pretty much new. I don't know if it's ever been used. This is my first Chinese cleaver and so far I am very pleased with it. So ebay is a good option if you know what you're doing. Failing that, a cheap cleaver from wok shop seems to be the way to go. I may even pick one up to have as a backup. The CCK cleavers look nice; but are a little pricey I may end up getting one in the future once I have more experiance with a cleaver. I need to be careful and not get carried away. I tend to get over excited about new things. For now my DR and cheap backup should be fine.

Back