Wa or Yo Handles?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is good. While we're talking about handles, how do you guys like the "pinch-grip" on western style handles with bolsters or integral bolsters? More comfortable than the stick-on wa handles, or not?

**** shameless pic alert *******

standard.jpg

(My newer ones are a bit more rounded on the corners) It just seems like the rounded transition into the handle here would be more comfortable than the abrupt edge of the wa handle. The one knife I have with a wa handle isn't terribly uncomfortable, but I only use it a few minutes here and there, not for hours.
-M

You do slightly different or modified grips with different styles. I almost exclusively pinch grip with westerns, with wa handles I sometimes grip the handle entirely as opposed to gripping part of the blade. Kinda like a grip you would use on traditional single bevel knives with the fore finger along the spine. The flat sides give me extra control compared to most western handles. I love the shape of your westerns and am looking forward to trying one. I like the big flat spot you have near the bolster on the side of the handle, where some westerns are more rounded. Would let me put my thumb there when making horizontal slices.

I think that having a fully rounded spine and choil is more important on a wa handle. While always nice, they really help make a wa handle extra comfy. My DT ITK is my most comfortable knife to use. The spine and choil are fully rounded, not just "eased", the handle is the perfect size, the corners are rounded just enough, and the finish smooth but not slippery. Apparently, this Devin guy really seems to know what he is doing.

Thank you, Wild Boar, I just hate having that thing lying around... Here, let me grind it down... okay, got it... and dip it in rubber... all right and now, we've got a handle that is comfortable and absolutely everyone will love :)

It is really quite interesting how there is no perfect handle, for every person, for every knife, for every purpose. It's a good thing and one that will keep us makers on our toes. I like it.
-M

Aesthetically I prefer a western handle, though functionally it doesn't really matter to me. I use the blade to cut, not the handle, and I hold the knife accordingly.

I hear ya vertigo...
How's the Misono treating you these days? I'm still loving mine. (great handle on it, by the way).

I hear ya vertigo...
How's the Misono treating you these days? I'm still loving mine. (great handle on it, by the way).
All day, every day at work and still going strong.

masanew.jpg

The lighting doesn't do the patina justice. It's damn near black at the right angles.

I've found that with mine, as well. It photographs MUCH lighter!
It's a beautiful knife. So far, it's my favourite, bar none!
My pic looks almost patinaless!
f02a1a35.jpg

Lefty, looks like you have an excuse for a bigger board to me :thumbsup:

Thanks Michael! I love this board!
It's actually my new one and it's as big as I can handle, Andrew! Haha. My favorite size is 18"x12", and that's what you see here!
Thanks for trying to help a brutha out! :D

Both types of handles.. Wa mostly for detailed work and Yo for prep as well as faster chopping. Depends on the knife, I find myself using Wa for Sushi Maki's and sashimi exclusively.

That board rocks!! :eek:vg:

All my current knives have Western or Yo handles. My first good knives 40 years ago were Wusthofs, and when I finally graduated to Japanese knives I found the Western handles to be familiar. A few years ago I bought some Wa-handled knives but eventually sold them. They weren't terribly expensive, but I just never adapted to them (old dog, new trick, I guess). Worse, I had problems with them -- one handle came off and had to be reattached, one developed rust as it wasn't well sealed, and I didn't particularly like the feel of the unfinished wood, which tended to get rather grungy. I find that Western handles are not only more comfortable, they're far better attached to the blade, generally more durable, and the balance is more to my liking (I prefer the light feel of a knife that's balanced at the choil rather than blade heavy as to me that makes it seem more nimble). Lastly, I really don't understand the assertion that Wa-handled knives are better for detailed or fine work, but then maybe I'm just a bit too crude for that. Just my opinion, of course, and I hold no ill will toward the Wa crowd.

It depends on your cutting preferences.

For a pinch grip - Wa especially if your knife is blade-heavy. For a more conventional grip when you don't extend your grip past the bolster (even if you put your index finger on the spine) - Western handle. I like both, but I think wa handle is more appropriate for single-beveled knives - for both look and functionality. In my opinion, octagonal Wa or D handle gives you a better control, particularly on a straight down cuts with a single-beveled knives.

M

I will only buy wa handled knives from now on. One of the biggest deals to me is that they are light and there isn't as much steel in the handle, so the balance point of the knife is usually more forward, something I much prefer in a knife, particularly a longer knife.

+1. I really like D shaped handles.Very comfortable.

I prefer western handles. They look good to me, and I don't much care for how the handle feels--if I start noticing the handle when I'm using it, I realize that it's time to sharpen the edge.

When I used a PC I liked Yo handles, but now that I use a Mac I like Wa handles. Just kidding.

I am tending toward Wa handles these days, but it may be a phase. I like the D-shaped handles and I am still fond of the shun classic handles.

K.

I hate D handles!
For me the only wa is octagon handles. I love Markos well made octagons, and his unique design. Simple but elegant and out of this world. I believe he outclass the octagons of Devin and even the octagons of konosuke and other japanese makers. What makes Markos wa so elegant is that he also makes matching saya. Im really looking forward to what Marko makes next.

Ive never tried semi octagons like Konosuke HD, so I cant tell if I like em or not. However oval wa sucks!

For the western handles Im truly impressed by

Rader
Burke
Dave

Actually Im so impressed by Rader handles that he hit my "list to buy"!

My first foray into Japanese knives was with the western style handle but recently after using a gyuto with a Stefan handle and my Konosuke Petty I have fallen head over heals for wa-handles.

Kramers wa/meiji handle is my favorite,I really need to learn how to make one.

Being a lefty, I'm not a "D" fan. I had one, that was right hand biased, and I sanded it down to an oval...
I like the octagons, because you have a good grip on the knife, no matter how you may be manipulating the blade.
I find the HD semi-octagon to be very comfortable.... its kinda like a dual sided "D" handle....

I did,but that won't make it any easier:smile1:

You have an idea how it is made, the rest is practice. I might make a similar to meiji for 150mm Shige petty, once I am done with the batch of handles I am working on. I think I will make it smaller (proportionally) than Bob's. The handle on Kramer's 8.5 gyuto is massive. Mario, have some nice mosaic pin?

M

I only have the mosaic pins that I made ATM.

You have an idea how it is made, the rest is practice. I might make a similar to meiji for 150mm Shige petty, once I am done with the batch of handles I am working on. I think I will make it smaller (proportionally) than Bob's. The handle on Kramer's 8.5 gyuto is massive. Mario, have some nice mosaic pin?

M

Marko, once you get your technique developed, I have a couple of knives I'd love to have you make meiji style handles for.

Marko, once you get your technique developed, I have a couple of knives I'd love to have you make meiji style handles for.

I won't copy it 1:1, but will borrow some of the elements of meiji (which in turn were borrowed from D shape Japanese handle). Can't reinvent a wheel.

M

The handle on Kramer's 8.5 gyuto is massive.

M

Marko, what are the dimensions of that handle? The handle on my 10" Kramer Meji is a little tall at the ferrule but does not strike me as over-sized. I wonder if he makes his handles proportional, or perhaps has fixed sizes that aren't ideal for some blades.

Back