Wakui Machi vs Kochi with Machi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for some confirmation or clarification what the difference is between those two.
From my understanding both should be V2 with iron cladding, right?
Aside from the current Wakui from JNS which looks like to have a smooth KU finish and the Kochi having a somewhat textured nashiji finish - are there any major differences that I might be missing?
They look like to be around the same height and weight.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

The major difference is the thickness of the neck of the knife. Most Sanjo knives have a tang that is continuous with a relatively thin neck, whereas knives from other regions (ie sakai) have a wider neck that gets cut thinner when it reaches the tang. The normal Wakui has this thinner neck continuous with the tang and the Wakui Machi has a thicker neck that gets cut down at the tang.

Machi:
IMG_3059.jpeg

Normal:
IMG_3061.jpeg

I think whichever one you choose depends mostly on personal preference. I like the thinner neck because it gives extra knuckle clearance without necessarily needing a taller clunkier gyuto, but others feel the thicker neck is more comfy.

The major difference is the thickness of the neck of the knife. Most Sanjo knives have a tang that is continuous with a relatively thin neck, whereas knives from other regions (ie sakai) have a wider neck that gets cut thinner when it reaches the tang. The normal Wakui has this thinner neck continuous with the tang and the Wakui Machi has a thicker neck that gets cut down at the tang.

Machi:
View attachment 327488

Normal:
View attachment 327489

I think whichever one you choose depends mostly on personal preference. I like the thinner neck because it gives extra knuckle clearance without necessarily needing a taller clunkier gyuto, but others feel the thicker neck is more comfy.
I think the question isn't about machi vs. non-machi, it's about JNS machi ku vs. JKI Kochi machi ku, right? https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ucts/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto-with-machi

I haven't had a Kochi, but just got the JNS one and it came in shorter in height and heavier than the measurements listed on JKI. Of course the handle's different too! But I have no idea how consistent the measurements are in either case. JKI lists 239x53/199g, JNS lists 243x50/205g, my JNS knife is 245x51/214g.

our measurements are updated each time new stock comes in, but i do tend to ask for things thinner, while Maxim tends to prefer heavier things. We will update measurements for these again soon, as we have some coming in around mid/late july if all goes according to plan.

Exactly, it is about both machi versions. As Blumbo mentioned a thicker neck gives me more comfort and I find myself enjoying those more.

That information helps a lot Jonathan, since July is just around the corner I guess I can wait a little bit longer and see what is coming in 😉
Thanks everyone!

It’s not apples to apples but I’ve had a Kochi v2, a Wakui v2 from bernal, and just received a jns Wakui machi today.

The kochi and Bernal wakui are more similar than different on grind and finish.

The JNS machi feels more robust and thicker than those two and other wakui I’ve had (migaki iron clad, and nashiji stainless clad). The thicker neck may add to that feel a bit though as all the rest were non machi.

Kochi 240 (non machi)
IMG_5349.jpeg

Jns wakui machi 210
IMG_6290.jpeg

Since the new drop from JKI Kochis just hit I obviously had to order one. It will arrive somewhere next week.

Would you mind sharing your specs of the 210mm JNS like weight and height? I know maxim is not always that accurate on his website :)
Comparing the stats the JNS should be thicker in general, but less tall - I wonder if that evens out the weight compared to the new Kochi.

Since the new drop from JKI Kochis just hit I obviously had to order one. It will arrive somewhere next week.

Would you mind sharing your specs of the 210mm JNS like weight and height? I know maxim is not always that accurate on his website :)
Comparing the stats the JNS should be thicker in general, but less tall - I wonder if that evens out the weight compared to the new Kochi.

Sure, no prob.

215x50mm
182g
spine at heel: 3.8mm
spine midway: 2.5mm
spine ~10mm from tip: 1.3mm

Thank you, my Kochi just arrived 2 days ago and it measures as follows:

215 x 53mm
190g
Spine at handle: 4.4mm
At heel: 3.6mm
Midway: 2.5mm
~1cm from Tip: 1.4mm

Looks like they are pretty identical. I also have one of the stainless clad White 2 Wakui, which is significantly less tall, I believe it is around 47-48mm and has no machi, but a thicker spine. Still the Kochi feels more sturdy and way nicer in hand, at least for me.
20240724_125231.jpg

It definitely has some texture to it, I would say slightly more then the Nashiji that I have.
The JNS KU looks similiar to my Watanabe KU which is super smooth, probably the painted on kind.
Both feel nice in hand but I like the less clean look more.

The one thing that sets it miles apart from the Wakui I have is the JKI burned Chestnut handle though.
From all the japanese knifes I bought, this is probably the only one I am confident in never swapping the handle.
It just feels that nice!

Back