Wakui Machi vs Kochi with Machi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for some confirmation or clarification what the difference is between those two.
From my understanding both should be V2 with iron cladding, right?
Aside from the current Wakui from JNS which looks like to have a smooth KU finish and the Kochi having a somewhat textured nashiji finish - are there any major differences that I might be missing?
They look like to be around the same height and weight.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

The major difference is the thickness of the neck of the knife. Most Sanjo knives have a tang that is continuous with a relatively thin neck, whereas knives from other regions (ie sakai) have a wider neck that gets cut thinner when it reaches the tang. The normal Wakui has this thinner neck continuous with the tang and the Wakui Machi has a thicker neck that gets cut down at the tang.

Machi:
IMG_3059.jpeg

Normal:
IMG_3061.jpeg

I think whichever one you choose depends mostly on personal preference. I like the thinner neck because it gives extra knuckle clearance without necessarily needing a taller clunkier gyuto, but others feel the thicker neck is more comfy.

The major difference is the thickness of the neck of the knife. Most Sanjo knives have a tang that is continuous with a relatively thin neck, whereas knives from other regions (ie sakai) have a wider neck that gets cut thinner when it reaches the tang. The normal Wakui has this thinner neck continuous with the tang and the Wakui Machi has a thicker neck that gets cut down at the tang.

Machi:
View attachment 327488

Normal:
View attachment 327489

I think whichever one you choose depends mostly on personal preference. I like the thinner neck because it gives extra knuckle clearance without necessarily needing a taller clunkier gyuto, but others feel the thicker neck is more comfy.
I think the question isn't about machi vs. non-machi, it's about JNS machi ku vs. JKI Kochi machi ku, right? https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ucts/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto-with-machi

I haven't had a Kochi, but just got the JNS one and it came in shorter in height and heavier than the measurements listed on JKI. Of course the handle's different too! But I have no idea how consistent the measurements are in either case. JKI lists 239x53/199g, JNS lists 243x50/205g, my JNS knife is 245x51/214g.

our measurements are updated each time new stock comes in, but i do tend to ask for things thinner, while Maxim tends to prefer heavier things. We will update measurements for these again soon, as we have some coming in around mid/late july if all goes according to plan.

Exactly, it is about both machi versions. As Blumbo mentioned a thicker neck gives me more comfort and I find myself enjoying those more.

That information helps a lot Jonathan, since July is just around the corner I guess I can wait a little bit longer and see what is coming in 😉
Thanks everyone!

Back