Watanabe ordering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

why-am-i-bleeding

Reaction score
Curious about ordering a pro line gyuto directly from their website. They're closed until April 30th so in the meantime I'd like to work out the kinks in the ordering process. Anyone have any advice / pointers? Thanks in advance

Have ordered successfully from them while they have been "closed." Contact Shinichi and he might help you if you are interested. Not a guarantee he will take your order, but he responds promptly and will send you his paypal info for payment.

I ordered a gyuto and petty from them last August, and the order was delivered in September via DHL. Shinichi was pretty helpful and easy to work with. I'd say give the knives listed in the "specials" section a look as well. There are some pretty interesting knives not regularly offered and I wish I had grabbed one of those when I ordered.

I was on his site last week and IIRC he had a couple iron clad gyuto and at least one pro nakiri up.

Very easy to deal with. Don't assume he (or any other craftsman) can tead your mind - if you want something special, make sure it's understood.

I've purchased directly from him starting with contact from his web site. He responds quickly and after PayPal payment he delivers quickly. I've purchased four knives from him and have never been disappointed.

No kinks to work out when ordering from Shinichi, at least during normal operation. Just shoot him an email and tell him what knife you want to buy. He'll reply to let you know if it's in stock, the price, and will also provide you with his paypal info. Then you send him the paypal payment and he ships the knife and gives you tracking info. That simple and easy.

No kinks to work out when ordering from Shinichi, at least during normal operation. Just shoot him an email and tell him what knife you want to buy. He'll reply to let you know if it's in stock, the price, and will also provide you with his paypal info. Then you send him the paypal payment and he ships the knife and gives you tracking info. That simple and easy.
That has been my experience multiple times and if you have any questions he replies pretty quickly despite the time differences. I would say that Shinichi is a pleasure do business with.

As people said, really nice guy and excellent customer service. Try to know what you want before messaging as the guy is stretched. For a first order, you don't need to put in special requests like a taller knife, etc., probably no customization beyond thinking of a handle upgrade.

[email protected]

I've gotten emails from him at this address

give it a try

fyi, this is not the email for Watanabe. I was in back and forth emails for a week with Shosui at this email address and basically placed and order for a custom knife, before realizing this is Takeda Hamono. Only figured it out when he said the knife was AS steel with stabilized maple handle (which doesnt sound typical of Watanabe).

fyi, this is not the email for Watanabe. I was in back and forth emails for a week with Shosui at this email address and basically placed and order for a custom knife, before realizing this is Takeda Hamono. Only figured it out when he said the knife was AS steel with stabilized maple handle (which doesnt sound typical of Watanabe).
F me. I'm sorry, reporting post to see if they can delete.

Are you gonna get the takeda?
I don't think he started making it yet, noting a lead time of 2-4months. But we basically had all the details and pricing ironed out and I just wanted to confirm the small things. And I got excited when "Watanabe" was planning on doing an AS knife. Then took a bit to actually think about it and was like... Lemme Google this first

FWIW, Shosui (Takeda) is a great guy to deal with, despite the language barrier.

Last edited:
I don't think he started making it yet, noting a lead time of 2-4months. But we basically had all the details and pricing ironed out and I just wanted to confirm the small things. And I got excited when "Watanabe" was planning on doing an AS knife. Then took a bit to actually think about it and was like... Lemme Google this first
I'm so 😐 egg on my face

Just wait until his webpage is open for orders again. Buying from Wat is usually a smooth and easy process. He even has a description on his webpage

Fully agree with Matus. Shinichi is really a very nice guy. Very friendly and answers every question in a short time. And now the webshop is already open an ready for orders!

+1. No issues here, Shinichi is great to deal with. I went through the contact details on the website (when it was open for orders).

Back