Weird query

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsos

Reaction score
So I got a question, my chef used my Mazaki gyuto with untreated keyaki handle to portion some cod (without me knowing). No damage to the knife but he used both hands to handle the fish and subsequently handled the knife. Now the handle absolutely reeks of fish for the last couple of weeks and I can not get it out... Does somebody have an idea to get rid of the smell short of rehandling the damn thing :upsidedownspin:

Last edited:
- 400 grit wet and dry, sand the whole thing, including the end
- leave the handle in some baking soda for a day or two (you can get an old tea towel, sprinkle some baking soda all over it and wrap the handle up in it)
- sand again (with fresh paper), finish with high grit if you wish
- oil and wax (as many coats of oil as you like, I then like finish it off with a wax/oil combo; you can spread it over the handle and wrap it up in clingfilm so you can actually use the knife as the oil/wax works it's way in)

+1 for leaving in baking soda, it does wonders for getting smells out of cutting boards

So I got a question, my chef used my Mazaki gyuto with untreated keyaki handle to portion some cod (without me knowing). No damage to the knife but he used both hands to handle the fish and subsequently handled the knife. Now the handle absolutely reeks of fish for the last couple of weeks and I can not get it out... Does somebody have an idea to get rid of the smell short of rehandlinf the damn thing :upsidedownspin:

Im sure the iron in his blood will disguise the smell (joking, please do not harm your chef)

(also the baking soda is reasonable, but yes definitely will want to re-oil or wax afterwards)

When I use any of my untreated Wa-handled knives for fish work, I always run the knife entirely under running water to soak the handle. This prevents it from soaking up exactly what your handle did.
This is common practice in Japan and you will see chefs behind the sushi counter do this.

When I use any of my untreated Wa-handled knives for fish work, I always run the knife entirely under running water to soak the handle. This prevents it from soaking up exactly what your handle did.
This is common practice in Japan and you will see chefs behind the sushi counter do this.

Interesting, I always try to avoid getting the handle wet because I'm afraid of rust issues with the tang.
I know some rust is OK, and even 'sets' the tang in place, but never knew people just soak the handle regularly.

yeah sand it and then oil it with tung oil/danish oil/gun stock oil or whatever you have. you need to oil it several times to seal it.

if that fails as a last resort kinda method. angle grinder!

Would this cause the handle to potential warp/crack faster? I suppose in a production environment, replacing a wa handle is foreseeable in any case...

Would this cause the handle to potential warp/crack faster? I suppose in a production environment, replacing a wa handle is foreseeable in any case...

I don't think so. I have never encountered a warped/cracked wa-handle. Although I suppose that could depend on the quality of the knife/handle. If you look at the enormous numbers of old vintage Japanese knives being sold on auction sites, in most cases the carbon steel blades are shot while the handles are not. But clearly handles do require replacement at times because "replacement handles" are sold in most Home Centers in Japan.

Latest posts

Back