what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no "right or wrong way" to drink whisky,,, it's down to what you prefer. That said though, to a purist,,, adding anything to a good whisky is downright sinful. Get yourself a "nosing" glass (Glencairn is my favourite), and pour yourself a dram. Nose (smell) the whisky two or three times,,,,take your time and think about the developing aromas, and try to identify them individually,,, then, have a sip. Keep it in your mouth (don't swallow at this point) and let the flavours impact various tastebuds in your mouth. Think about the various flavours and characteristics as you swirl it around your mouth. Those individual characteristics will change and develop over time. Hold,,,,Hold,,,,Hold,,,then as you swallow,,, you may or may not get "the burn" depending on the alcohol content,,, and then the whisky does its' magic in "the finish". What you want is a whisky with a longgggg, slowwwww,,,, lingering finish. Like a kiss from the angels!!! Some will have such a long finish that you can actually still taste it the next morning. When you find one like that,,,, RUN TO THE STORE,,, and pick up a few more bottles of the same batch,,, because when word gets around, the price will surely rise. Be careful when buying however, because whisky can be extremely "batch sensitive",,, in other words, two whiskys of the same name, but from different batches, can be total opposites in character and taste. A while back I bought a bottle of Talisker Distillers' Edition (Isle of Skye) that knocked my socks off. WoW!!!! I went back to the store and bought three more,,, only to discover later that they were from different batches, and those were polar opposites in taste profile.

As for "adding" something to the whisky,,,,, some whiskys will benefit from a few (and I mean a "few") drops of water.

As for the term "on the rocks",,, that came about when people didn't have access to ice. They'd run to a local stream and pick up smooth rocks that were chilled in the waters. Hence, "On the rocks"

As for colour and clarity of the whisky,,,, some darker whiskys may give the impression that they're better quality, or more robust, etc., but that colour may be from artificial colourings (caramel). Don't assume a pale whisky is by any means "inferior to" a darker whisky. As for cloudiness,,, you may see that from time to time with whiskys that haven't been chill-filtered, and that's a good thing.
If the abv is well above 50% alcohol, the dram will benefit by adding more than a few drops, esp younger ones. Just add gradually until you hit the sweet spot for you. Older whiskies can fall apart quickly with water. Tread cautiously with those older bottles.
The general rule of thumb is keep the whisky in the mouth in seconds corresponding to years. eg 10 year whisky keep in mouth for 10secs.

I’m really enjoying it, more so than the Nikka Coffey malt I bought at the same time. I’d probably buy it again.

That said I’ve been really getting into Islay malts and that’s a whole different game. Currently really enjoying Ardbeg 10yo and Bruichladdich Islay Barley

If you liked this one try the Port Charlotte PC10.

Lagavulin and it’s neighbors (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) are some of the peatiest malts around.

I was supposed to be there last month but obviously cancelled :(

Were you going for Feis Ile?

^username checks out.

Good advice! Also I find that the second sip is where the magic happens. The first sip primes your tastebuds and desensitizes you to the alcohol burn.

When I open a new bottle I have a dram or two... And then let the bottle sit for 1-2 weeks. When I come back to it I find the flavors have opened up quite a bit. It takes a lot of patience and self control but I find it is definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Were you going for Feis Ile?

When I open a new bottle I have a dram or two... And then let the bottle sit for 1-2 weeks. When I come back to it I find the flavors have opened up quite a bit. It takes a lot of patience and self control but I find it is definitely worth it.

I would have arrived after. It was for a wedding and side trip Scotland.

I find thats possible with "some" whiskys, but it can be hit or miss too. A fresh bottle of Aberlour Abunadh for example, knocked my socks off, but disappointed on the return a few months later. Conversely, a previously uncorked Woodford Reserve really surprised me with a wonderfully intense flavour of black cherries and a longgggg lingering finish. One of the great bargains in the world of Bourbon whiskey. (Love my Booker and Blanton Original too.) I've yet to find a Pappy Van Winkle here in Canada.

Last edited:
Had this in my fridge since October 2017.
IMG_20200705_172749.jpg

"Copenhagen" lol I'm an idiot. Sorry, new here

I LOVE Copenhagen!!!! Haven't been there in ages, but I used to go to the Red Lion Pub, in the Copenhagen Hilton(???) Hotel, where they served a fantastic Steak Tartare.,,,, the Little Mermaid,,,, the notorious "Walking Street"....Tivoli Gardens. Good memories.

I have a question for those of you who have been around fine liquers for a LONG time;;;;; What the hell happened to Cointreau???? It used to be one of the true Classics, along with Benedictine,,,, Chartreuse,,, B&B,,,,Grand Marnier,,, Cognac, etc. I hadn't bought Cointreau in the last 30 or 40 years, and it is now bloody awful. It tastes like a cheap no-brand Triple Sec. This must be the flavour crime of the century. The old Cointreau was an explosion of ripe and bitter oranges,,,, sensational when served with a chocolate dessert.

I LOVE Copenhagen!!!! Haven't been there in ages, but I used to go to the Red Lion Pub, in the Copenhagen Hilton(???) Hotel, where they served a fantastic Steak Tartare.,,,, the Little Mermaid,,,, the notorious "Walking Street"....Tivoli Gardens. Good memories.

I've had a few friends visit and it was one of their favorite cities as well

I should've joined you,,, I've got a Balvenie Doublewood and a Balvenie Caribbean Cask sitting in my collection, and I've never cracked either one open,,,,,yet.

You like???

I have a question for those of you who have been around fine liquers for a LONG time;;;;; What the hell happened to Cointreau???? It used to be one of the true Classics, along with Benedictine,,,, Chartreuse,,, B&B,,,,Grand Marnier,,, Cognac, etc. I hadn't bought Cointreau in the last 30 or 40 years, and it is now bloody awful. It tastes like a cheap no-brand Triple Sec. This must be the flavour crime of the century. The old Cointreau was an explosion of ripe and bitter oranges,,,, sensational when served with a chocolate dessert.
try get hold of Aurum Liquor and see how you like that

try get hold of Aurum Liquor and see how you like that

Thank You MarcelNL,

I'll give that one a go,,,, if I can find it locally. I've tried virtually every orange based liquer I can get my hands on and nothing remotely approaches the original Cointreau. I sure hope they bring that one back,,, or at least under a different name,,, "Cointreau Classic", or Cointreau Originale, etc. I'll gladly pay extra if necessary.

That said; another formerly-wonderful product,,, Noilly-Prat dry vermouth, changed it's flavour-profile some time back,,, apparently, they claimed that they were responding to "North American market taste/demand". The old Noilly-Prat simply made the BEST martini's. My understanding is, they were now going to re-institute the original taste profile back again to the North American market, but I don't know if that ever happened.

I think these companies NEED to reconsider their marketing analysis. When you have a "classic" on your hands,,,, you NEVER change the product,,,, EVER. There's no point in destroying a classic and re-positioning an inferior product under that classics' name, simply to compete with cheaper (lower quality) brands and products to gain "market-share". Cointreau was unique,,,, and presently, it's no better than a cheap off-brand Triple-sec. So sad.

Last edited:
Agree w you, yet the plain truth is that at some point or another each if those companies get bigger than is good for them and in march the 'marketeers'consultants and controllers, and BOOM $$ are the only thing in sight. The potential extra profit coming from appealing to 10% more people in the US market space alone can be enough to screw up a perfectly good product (just look at the attempts made by Coca Cola to re-invent their recipe). It does not have to be an improvement to get implemented once core business is perceived to be making $$.

note to self; buy some Croze-Hermitage this week....well, really, and some more as the wine fridge is quite empty.

Come to think of it, now is the moment to get some more La Vialla Organic wines.

Back