What do you use for new surface finish hard monosteel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikaelsan

Reaction score
Hello

I got me a new projectknife, monosteel sk. It's nothing crazy, but it's hard enough that a lot of my abrasives don't really want to dig in. The knife is thin so the plan is to redo the surface finish to something in the 180-400 grit range to avoid creating a large suction cup of a knife. One side have very clumsily been worked on by previous owner so one side is vertical and one side horizontal, and I left some inconsistencies in the finish after reprofiling/ thinning/ removing chips. Took about 1 1/2 hours on my shinko at 1000 grit, and by the time I was past the very fatuiged steel I feel like it hardly did anything to the blade anymore. I did reestablish the profile enough for now that I'm happy with that

Tried regular sandpaper for 10 minutes and I can hardly see the new scratches I created. Maybe I can just buy something designed for metal but it got me curious - what do you guys use for this type of surface finishing? Belt sander is last resort for me

Back